Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I really like the look of travertine

1. Back To Top    #1

I really like the look of travertine

I really like the look of travertine and would like to consider using it for coping and deck. Where should into to price this in my area? Of course I have seen travertine tile in tile shops, but I have never seen travertine pavers. thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I really like the look of travertine

I'd suggest starting with an internet search for Travertine Pavers, in your area, if possible.

Also be sure to read up on whether the salt from salt water chlorine generators might affect travertine in any way, if you are ever considering that as a possibility. From what I've heard, salt can affect some flagstone, some slate, and some limestone.
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ask your pool builder if he can source them. Our did. It was just a little bit more than concrete. We also have a Salt Water pool and no damage yet. Travertine is timeless. Another plus about pavers is if you ever need plumbing work, they can just pull up the pavers and reuse them. Note the different sizes of paver used to make our deck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have no problems with my travertine deck.
    I also have a SWG.
    Size 12,000 gal | Filtration Jandy 340 CL Cartridge | Sanitation Jandy 1400 AquaPure SWG | Placement In-ground Gunite | Finish Medium Gray Plaster | Automation Jandy Aqualink RS w/PDA6
    Pump Jandy 2.5hp 2 speed Stealth | Location New Orleans LA
    Heat Jandy EE2000t
    Test kit Taylor K-2006 (fas-dpd)

5. Back To Top    #5

Nice pic ComputerGuy. That looks awesome. Does anyone have any issues with travertine being slippery?
    TF-100 XL w/ Speed Stir
    South facing, roughly 10,000 gallon inground L shapped PebbleSheen with spa (plastered 7/30/2014 and filled 7/31)
    Jandy Pro Series Filter Cartridge 580 SF, Jandy Pro Series ePump Variable Speed Pump, 2.0HP

6. Back To Top    #6

Spaniard,

Ours is not slippery at all. It is has good grip under foot.

Dave
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Dave. Again, looks awesome...
    TF-100 XL w/ Speed Stir
    South facing, roughly 10,000 gallon inground L shapped PebbleSheen with spa (plastered 7/30/2014 and filled 7/31)
    Jandy Pro Series Filter Cartridge 580 SF, Jandy Pro Series ePump Variable Speed Pump, 2.0HP

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuyInNOLA
    Ask your pool builder if he can source them. Our did. It was just a little bit more than concrete. We also have a Salt Water pool and no damage yet. Travertine is timeless. Another plus about pavers is if you ever need plumbing work, they can just pull up the pavers and reuse them. Note the different sizes of paver used to make our deck.

Have you sealed your pavers around the salt water pool - especially the ones around the edge of the pool that will be prone to touching the salt water? If so, which sealer did you use? I'm planning a travertine install within a few weeks and looking for some tips on prolonging the life of it Thanks!

9. Back To Top    #9

I am having my PB put in 2600square feet of Travertine pavers put in at $10.00 a square foot

10. Back To Top    #10

Gapoolsup,

Yes we had them sealed. I cannot remember the sealer he used. I think it was a dry sealer if that helps. He said we had to seal it every five years. I plan to do it sooner.

11. Back To Top    #11

Really any landscaper that installs patios can source travertine. I had my landscaper install ours in 2x seperate parts (because we didn't have all the funds to do it at once). Price install out in Arizona was $7sqft for ~800sqft, the second section was about 300sqft for $7.50sqft. The more you get the cheaper per sqft is...
    IG, 18K gallons, 100' Perimeter, 565 SF surface area, 980sf interior area, Max Length -36', Max Width - 16', Pentair 520 Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter, Stenner Chemical Injection System (Chlorine, Acid Coming Soon) , Pebble Tech - Blue Granite, Pentair variable speed filter pump, Zodiac MX8 Cleaner, Multi-Colored LED Lighting, Travertine coping & Decking, Boulder Water Fall....

12. Back To Top    #12

I had pavers installed with my pool just over a year ago and have not had any issues. I initially sealed the section closest to my pool + coping as I was worried about the SWG but stopped at that point as it was a major chore!
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Back To Top    #13

Here's how our travertine deck looks at the end of build (mid November) I'm thinking about sealing travertine just to give it bolder look.
    Travertine have been installed on a concrete base.
    Lagoon shape, 23,600 Gal, steel walls by International Swimming Pools, "ultra-seam" liner by Latham, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pump, PentAir CCP420 filter, Heat Siphon Z575HP, PentAir IC40 SWG, 2 LED Lights (Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 110V). 4 x 1.5’’return lines, 2 x 2’’skimmer lines, 1.5’’ waterfall line. All plumbing is "TigerFlex" pipe, all lines plumbed individually. Deck: travertine glued over concrete.