I've read pool school quite a few times, bought a recommended test kit and just completed my first test. I'd like to tell my background and lay out my plan to hear from the experts. This is quite a bit of information to comprehend.
I have a new 18x48 Intex Ultra pool (details below). I filled it with semi-hard well water two weeks ago (no softener but the water here is pretty nice). I run the Intex SWG which initially called for 160 lbs of salt. I heard stories about too much salt causing it problems, which required draining the water so I started with ~140 lbs. I run my filter for 8 hours a night and the SWG for 4. The water has been great, with a touch of cloudiness and a tiny bit of a slippery feel. Last week I was concerned that might be the start of algea so I put in 1g of bleach. I ordered CYA stabalizer and added ~2lbs Friday night. Below are the results I'm getting from my test strips (which I hear are worthless) and the first run I just did with my Taylor 2006 kit.
.1-.2 Copper PPM,
Test Kit -
I believe I need to do a couple of things
1. Add the extra 20lbs of salt.
2. Probably add another gallon of bleach
3. Run the boost cycle on the SWG which will run for 8 times my normal 4 hour cycle = 24 hours to increase FC.
4. Add more CYA (I hear you put it in a sock and occasionally squeeze) to get to the 60-70 range.
5. Use muratic acid to lower the TA and PH
Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks!