BBB General Questions

I've started using the BBB method about a month ago and the pool is crystal clear. I have some general questions.

1) Will a solar cover affect/help preserve FC levels? It looks like the pool is using 3-4 ppm FC per day (it gets sun all day). I haven't used the solar cover yet.
2) Does flocking agent affect the water chemistry, is it even necessary for general use? I haven't needed to use it since opening the pool, but sometimes when it gets dry/dusty around here we'll get a lot of sediment on the bottom. So far the little we've had vacuums up without a problem.
3) Algaecide. I've been using it once per week as recommended ad after the major rainstorms we just had. Since I'm trying to maintain 3-7 ppm chlorine is Algaecide application necessary?

FC 3-7 (mid-morning about 5.5)
PH 7.7
TA 110
CH 70
CYA 38 (I think I want the CYA a little higher 40-45)

Welcome to the forum :wave:

lightweight said:
I've started using the BBB method about a month ago and the pool is crystal clear. I have some general questions.

1) Will a solar cover affect/help preserve FC levels?
Yes
It looks like the pool is using 3-4 ppm FC per day (it gets sun all day). I haven't used the solar cover yet. 3 to 4 FC loss per day sounds kinda high. I suggest you do the OCLT to rule out/in organics.
2) Does flocking agent affect the water chemistry, is it even necessary for general use?
We don't recommend flock. I haven't needed to use it since opening the pool, but sometimes when it gets dry/dusty around here we'll get a lot of sediment on the bottom. So far the little we've had vacuums up without a problem. Right, you should be able to vac it up or brush it up to be caught in the filter.

3) Algaecide. I've been using it once per week as recommended ad after the major rainstorms we just had. Since I'm trying to maintain 3-7 ppm chlorine is Algaecide application necessary?
No. Algaecide is not necessary in a well balanced pool. The only algaecide we recommend for use is PolyQuat 60 - no unwanted side effects. Some folks use it for insurance if they are not able to test/dose as often as they should.

FC 3-7 (mid-morning about 5.5)
PH 7.7
TA 110
CH 70
CYA 38 (I think I want the CYA a little higher 40-45)
Before you increase the CYA, you should confirm no organics.

1) Yes. Sunlight is the main cause for consuming chlorine, and a solar cover blocks most of the sunlight, so you use less chlorine.
2) We don't recommend using floc. It is never required.
3) No algaecide is not required, nor do we recommend using it regularly, though there are a few special situations where it is handy.

Welcome to TFP!

1. The cover will reduce the loss to the sun. What is your CC? Your loss seems a little high, so higher CYA would help.

2/3. We do not recommend using either of them. There is no need.

James and Victoria Lightweight (sounds very British, doesn't it?! :-D ),

1. Best use for a solar cover is heating. Owners DO truly report a lessening of chlorine requirement when using a cover in the day time, while others were concerned that it could harbor algae, if not kept very clean.

2. People use flocculent to get the small particles in the water to bind together and sink to the bottom for vacuuming. If your vacuum and filter do a good job of getting the fine stuff, you don't ever need to floc, really. And if used, it shouldn't affect your chemistry much, if at all.

3. Algaecide is more of a preventative, as you know, than a fix. That said, if you maintain your FC level at the correct level for your CYA, you shouldn't need algaecide, ever. (I haven't used it in nearly 8 years here in S. FL.) Consider borates: 20 Mule Team Borax works as an algaecide AND it makes your water soft, smooth and sparkly! What more could you want from a product? :cheers:

With full sun on your pool for much of the day, yes, you'll probably want to raise your CYA a bit.
Alan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.