Am I on right track

Tim/oh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 25, 2013
Great site with massive amount of info, Thank you.

This is my 1st post. Had some issues with metal staining which lead me to this sight, well that and what I felt was the lack of pool store knowledge. I am in the middle of my first shock using 10% bleach. My water was pretty clear (I thought) considering all the stain magnet and sequester the pool store had me using but I was getting a 1.8cc reading(K 2006). 2 days into the process it s looking great. Attempting to keep fc at 25 but 20 seems to be a brick wall? 20 will work correct? Just take longer? Once I get overnight fc drop to just 1 I will need to check and adjust my other levels. Since I was pool stored the 1st year with the pool I have PH up, down, calcium,..etc. Is it ok to use this stuff up as needed before going to full BBB method? I should mention my staining seems to be under control now. I am adding 10 oz weekly sequester and have a 4.0 culator in pump basket. It's been in 2 days and seems to be changing to a bluish purple already.

My Intial readings 3 days ago- the day my K 2006 came :-D :-D

fc .2 I had to add 4 scoops to get pink water (25ml line)
cc 1.8 did test twice. 4 scoops have any bearing on this reading?
ph 7
ta 70
ch 140-150
cya 70 thanks to pool store and my lack of knowledge :hammer:

Pool store readings 4 day ago

fc .2
cc .2
ph 7
ta 100
ch 135
cya 70
They recommended ph up, 12 lbs of calcium, I did not do anything, knew my test kit would be here soon.
Didn't mention 1 thing about cholrine being too low with 70 cya

Pool is 16 X 33 48" AG, solar heater, Hayward asl 120 GPM. cartridge filter. Temp is 86.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Yep, 20 should work and just take a while longer.

Altho doable at 70CYA, it will be much easier if you lower the CYA to about 50 ASAP.

How often are you able to test/adjust back up to shock level?

Congrats on your test kit :goodjob:

We'd appreciate your keeping us updated on the Culator - including a log, comments & pics would be awfully nice, too. :-D Also, if you have a metal test kit and can confirm before and after metal levels, that would be great! :wink:

btw, your test results look fine except for the FC & CC & CYA.

You can adjust the pH up after you have completed the shock process.

Yes, you can use the pH up & down PS stuff. Then you can switch to 20 Mule Team Borax for UP and Muriatic Acid for down. :mrgreen:

How often are you able to test/adjust back up to shock level? ----------Every 1-2hrs weekends work 8-5 m-f

As far as culator I have no metal test kit plus metals are sequestered, not sure they would register. I can snap some pics and post.

Most resent results are

fc 16 cc.4 this is 2 hrs after bumping to 20, solar cover off to vacuum sunny day
Not checking other levels til shock is finished.

Been holding steady at fc 22 from 4pm- 7pm w/o adding anything. cc down to .5. I think the shock process has started to break down my sequester. About an hour ago the water went from crystal clear to a slight dingy yellow cast. The sun has gone behind clouds i think for the rest of the day. I hope its playing tricks on my eyes and not releasing my metal. I added a 32oz bottle of sequestrant, hope between that and culator i can catch it, if not my wife will kill me, especially since she said how great it looked this morning. She thinks I'm nuts as it is. :wink:

Tim/oh said:
Been holding steady at fc 22 from 4pm- 7pm w/o adding anything. cc down to .5. I think the shock process has started to break down my sequester. About an hour ago the water went from crystal clear to a slight dingy yellow cast. The sun has gone behind clouds i think for the rest of the day. I hope its playing tricks on my eyes and not releasing my metal. I added a 32oz bottle of sequestrant, hope between that and culator i can catch it, if not my wife will kill me, especially since she said how great it looked this morning. She thinks I'm nuts as it is. :wink:
Sounds like you have things under control :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.