Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Day 5 of my conversion

1. Back To Top    #1

Day 5 of my conversion

Hello everyone! I just have to say I am so excited to have found this site. I have used bacquacil the past several years. This year I have already spent $$$ and pool looked like ****. About a month ago I found this site, so after returning from vacation I started my conversion. Here is my question....the pool is still cloudy, I can't see the bottom.
    This am:
    FC 5
    CC 1.5
    From what I have read (numerous times I might add) it should be clear/almost with my CC that low. Any ideas?

Also trying to figure out how to add information to the signature line. I live in northeast Alabama. I have 27 round AG, Sand Filter.
    27 ft round AG
    Sand Filter
    Vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Day 5 of my conversion

Update: I figured out the signiature line. hehe
    And yes I fixed the FC, poured in the bleach!!
    27 ft round AG
    Sand Filter
    Vinyl liner

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

On what day did you start your conversion?

How high have you been bringing FC after each test?

You are certainly not done and it sounds like you have not really been following the process by keeping FC where it needs to be.

From Pool School...
    The Process
    Test your pH. You will want to adjust that to 7.2 - 7.4 before you begin.
    Use Jason's Pool Calculator to determine how much bleach you will need to raise your FC (Free Chlorine) from 0 to 15ppm.
    Add the bleach and watch the pretty colors! Take photos!
    Test your water frequently and add the appropriate amount of bleach to get back up to 15ppm. Do this as often as possible, as often as every hour if you can, but at least once a day. Make sure you test and add bleach before bed, and test again in the morning before the sun hits your pool. Initially, the FC will be used up very quickly. The more often you can test and boost your FC to 15, the faster the conversion will go. Toward the middle of the conversion, it is more prudent to test and add your bleach in the evening, or at other times when the sunlight is not directly shining on your water.
    Check the pressure in your filter frequently, and backwash (or clean cartridges) as necessary. You will flush out a ton of 'Baqua-goo'.
    Brushing and/or vacuuming is helpful.
    When you lose 1 ppm of chlorine, or less, overnight it is time to clean out your filter and change the media. Once the filter is cleaned up, add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm. Continue to maintain FC at 15 ppm.
    Your conversion is complete when CC's are 0.5 or less two days in a row.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

On Tuesday I lowered my ph to7.2 using muriatic acid. Since then I have tested almost hourly (except when asleep and had eye appointment), each time I bring my FC to 15 using the pool calculator. I have scrubbed and vacumned daily, backwashed when psi increases. I have read the instructions over and over, making sure I do everything as instructed. Just curious why when I read other post they are clear before their CC is that low. I have continued today, same as before...keeping my FC up. Now time to vacumn and scub again!!
    27 ft round AG
    Sand Filter
    Vinyl liner

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Good work. Thanks for describing your actions in much more detail. You are certainly on the right path and don't worry about the CC's issue. Just keep your FC up and do all the rest. Some pools take longer than others somewhat depending on the amount of baquagoo when the conversion started. Keep the faith and keep the chlorine in there.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Your filter could be slowing you down some. Adding DE to your sand may help you out. You may also save a bit of cash at this stage by only shocking after the sun drops, but it will slow down the swap. Try to do an OCLT and see how many FC's you drop overnight. Sounds like your water is right about to change.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the info!! I will try to do an OCLT tonight. I have a question about that. I take the last FC of the night and add bleach if needed or don't add? Then test another before sun is up in the morning, is that correct?
    27 ft round AG
    Sand Filter
    Vinyl liner

8. Back To Top    #8

Take a test once the sun goes down and shock to FC. Wait about .30 minutes (pump should be running 24/7 during swap) and retest to make 100% sure you're at the correct level. Write the second result down. 1st thing in the morning check FC level before the sun rises. Subtract that result from your previous nights result.

Sorry if it sounds tuff. Short answer to your question is to shock after you test.....but make sure you're at the correct levels.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok thanks!! I have been completely obsessed with my pool since I started this conversion. It looks better now than all of last season and I can only see about halfway down. I know I just have to wait and let it work its magic! I am so excited I can barely contain myself.
    27 ft round AG
    Sand Filter
    Vinyl liner

10. Back To Top    #10

So here are the results of my OCLT:
    10pm
    FC 15
    6AM
    FC 15
    CC0.5

If I understand correctly I can change my sand correct? Just a couple of questions first. I can't change the sand until Tuesday, what do I need to do to maintain between now and Tuesday? Also the pool still isn't clear...when will that happen??
    27 ft round AG
    Sand Filter
    Vinyl liner

11. Back To Top    #11

Oh ****! Just did a test...FC 5!! I understand that the sun will drop the FC and I don't have any CYA in yet, so I just keep pouring in the bleach? Or wait until evening and get it back to FC 15?
    27 ft round AG
    Sand Filter
    Vinyl liner

12. Back To Top    #12

You are doing really well! If I read correctly, and FC held over night and CC is only 0.5, it is time to change your filter media and add CYA. You then continue to raise the FC level to 15 in the evenings until CC is 0.5 or lower for two days in a row, and then you are done.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks so much!! I guess I am questioning myself because the pool is still not clear. I can see down to the third step clearly, after that it is cloudy. I think I will continue to keep my FC 15 for another few days before I change sand, etc. It is so exciting watching this conversion, but more so knowing that I am in charge of my pool!! No more being ripped off by pool store!
    27 ft round AG
    Sand Filter
    Vinyl liner