Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gunite Discoloring

1. Back To Top    #1

Gunite Discoloring

Hi Guys,
    I changed out my cartridge on my sta-rite 450sq/ft last weekend. The filter was not cleaned when the pool company closed my hot tub in December last year and was in a black garbage bag until I just cleaned it. We close our pool end of September and keep the hut tub open until Dec. I hosed it down but evedently not enough. My pool clouded up so I shocked it and it cleared after 3 days and passed the over night test of not losing 1ppm FC. The pool is about 10 years old and this is our third season in this house. We have our pool drained in the spring and power/acid washed before opening. As the season goes on we are getting spotty gray discoloring and it really came back this year after I shocked. I have a Nature2 filter and I just removed it after reading other posts. Could this be the cause? My CH seems alright see the test results below. Also we plan on having our hot tub replaster next spring. The pool guy says they can buff the pool surface to get a new surface exposed. Has anyone had a good experience doing this. Please let me know what you think is causing the discoloring and is there anything I can do to get rid of it. It doesn't brush off. (attached photo look at middle bottom, top left and right is a reflection).

Thank You in Advance!

FC=6
    cc=0
    TA=170
    CH=300
    CYA=60
    PH=7.2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gunite Discoloring

I have a gunite pool and I see some of that discoloration also, anybody ?

3. Back To Top    #3

No Idea's?

Thanks
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

4. Back To Top    #4

The stain could be metals in the water, or it could be any of several other things. There is a simple test for metal staining, place a vitamin C tablet against a stained spot for at least 30 seconds and see what happens. If it is a metal stain the stain should vanish, or at least lighten significantly, where the Vitamin C tablet is.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I tossed in some powder shock last year and did not bother to brush it around. It bleached my pool a white/gray in the area the shock sat there.
    15K gal gunite, Jandy Aqualink RS, Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy main filter pump, Century Pool & Spa 3.0hp cleaner boost pump, Polaris 360 Vac-Sweep, Jandy Large Cartridge Filter. K-2006 Test Kit