Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool leaking

I tried to clear my swamp this year for the past month, never got past 4 inches of visibility. I was noticing I was needing to add more and more water every day, was getting way past what could be evaporation. I found it one morning blowing bubbles through the return and thought I had a suction leak but it was just so low on water that the skimmer was sucking a little bit of air.

The pool has a skimmer and a floor drain. I have given up on opening it this year. I have not added water or ran the pump in 2 days. I have closed the valve to the floor drain. It is now down about 2.5 feet well below the skimmer and return buy at least a foot and is still dropping.

1. What happens if I let this AGP that is partially buried continue to drain?

2. What if it completely drains?

3. How do I find this leak?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Memphis, TN

Re: Pool leaking

There are those Leak detector kits. I've seen them in pool supply magazines. I have no idea how they work but maybe you should look into that?
    26k IG Vinyl, 2 HP single speed,24" Tagelus Sand, 1.5" pipe, 1 Main, 1 Skimmer, 2 jets, pool built 1983, new vinyl 2014, 36'x18', Deep End 8', The PoolCleaner 4X Suction.
    Pool Math #__# Pool School #__# Best Android App "Pool Pal" Track Your Levels!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Pool leaking

It's usually not good to let it get completely empty if it's more than a couple years old.
    It's hard to say what might happen. It could range from nothing, to the walls could collapse from the surrounding earth.
    Same scenario if it completely drains.

At this point I'd say let it leak until it stops and look at the water line to find the leak. I'd then patch it and refill it as soon as possible.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit