LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2012
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Always wondered: why use "pump to waste" or "filter to waste" while vacuuming? Why not just leave it on filter setting? Does it change the way debris is collected, and bypassing the filter is better? :scratch: Or vacuuming algae into the filter is a bad practice (which the pool store said)?
Thanks. Yours is my "go to" site for all pool info. :lovetfp: :handwave:

A pool with a whole lot of debris will quickly clog up most filters....just too much junk. Vacuum to waste puts the junk overboard and it never gets to your filter. Generally, wastes quite a bit of water if you have a strong pump.

I use a whoooole lotta less water when vacuuming just plain old dirt to the filter and backwashing occassionally. I got to have a bunch of "extra" water to do the waste thing.

Thanks for the replies duraleigh and woodyp. Good to know. :goodjob:
Is the pool store correct in saying "never vacuum to filter when trying to clear up algae that is settled on the bottom of the pool (but no other debris)? :suspect:

Thanx :wink:

mariane said:
Thanks for the replies duraleigh and woodyp. Good to know. :goodjob:
Is the pool store correct in saying "never vacuum to filter when trying to clear up algae that is settled on the bottom of the pool (but no other debris)? :suspect:

Thanx :wink:
No.

If it's great chunks of leaves and twigs, you'd want to keep that out of the filter. But dead algae buildup is pretty fine stuff, and the filter is designed to catch it. When the gauge starts climbing and the flow slows down, that's a good sign. It means the filter's working. Then you backwash. The filter's designed to be backwashed - that's why there's a setting called, not surprising, backwash.

Thanks for all the great replies. You are all great! :party:

Should have known better than to believe the one guy at the pool store who does not even own a pool. :blah:

Yep. That's right.
A guy who works at the pool store who does not even own a pool. :hammer: :crazy:

:nemo: :fish: :nemo:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.