Help with some Cloudiness

Ugmul

Jun 13, 2013
Tucson Az
Hi Everyone!

I was hoping for some suggestions with clearing up my water. Ever since I backwashed my pool(Wednesday) it has had a slight cloudiness to it. I think the main problem came from my filter being completely clogged when I took control of the pool that monday. The PSI on the tank was 35, its normal running psi at high rate is around 10, I discovered this after flushing it the first time. I had to flush the filter twice that day because pressure built back up; I believe that was due to gunk in the lines that was finally freed up after the backwash. I haven’t had to flush the filter in the last 3-4 days, though it was getting close last night.

Anyway, I’ve had the pool for a week, levels have been great, been swimming lots. The water is rather clear, but just has the slight cloud to it that I don’t see if others posts here, you could say it has a “dull” look to it. Could this be to the new plaster? Do I just have a ton of contamination floating around? I’m considering picking up some D.E. to give the sand filter a boost, but I’ve read that increasing FC for a few days may help as well. Not shock level but just higher than the target.

Here are my numbers.

CYA: 25 (Added enough CYA to bring this to 35-40, still dialing in pool volume so I didn’t want to overshoot, will retest next week to see where I’m at)
FC: 5 (FC held at 5 from last night to this morning, so I don’t have Allege)
CC: 0 (Been 0 for majority of the last week, once or twice it spiked to .5)
CH :140
TA: 120
PH: 7.5

Thanks, My pump only had 2 settings, backwash and filter. The backwash gets pumped out of the yard through the fence so I could not monitor untill it was clear, so I backwashed for 1min each time. Seemed reasonable amount of time.

Thanks for the opinion and I'll give it a go, for both ideas at once.

I love this pool and this site! Everyone here really is friendly and supportive!

Thanks!

I replaced my old cartridge filter with a sand filter three weeks ago. Even though I backwashed at startup, I had the same persistent slightly dull water. My numbers were pretty good (TA was a little low). It's only been this weekend that the pool finally started looking VERY nice. I think you just need to give that filter some more time and keep checking your numbers. I have not tried the DE additive yet, but I think I will. Seem to come highly recommended.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.