Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with some Cloudiness

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with some Cloudiness

Hi Everyone!

I was hoping for some suggestions with clearing up my water. Ever since I backwashed my pool(Wednesday) it has had a slight cloudiness to it. I think the main problem came from my filter being completely clogged when I took control of the pool that monday. The PSI on the tank was 35, its normal running psi at high rate is around 10, I discovered this after flushing it the first time. I had to flush the filter twice that day because pressure built back up; I believe that was due to gunk in the lines that was finally freed up after the backwash. I havenít had to flush the filter in the last 3-4 days, though it was getting close last night.

Anyway, Iíve had the pool for a week, levels have been great, been swimming lots. The water is rather clear, but just has the slight cloud to it that I donít see if others posts here, you could say it has a ďdullĒ look to it. Could this be to the new plaster? Do I just have a ton of contamination floating around? Iím considering picking up some D.E. to give the sand filter a boost, but Iíve read that increasing FC for a few days may help as well. Not shock level but just higher than the target.

Here are my numbers.

CYA: 25 (Added enough CYA to bring this to 35-40, still dialing in pool volume so I didnít want to overshoot, will retest next week to see where Iím at)
    FC: 5 (FC held at 5 from last night to this morning, so I donít have Allege)
    CC: 0 (Been 0 for majority of the last week, once or twice it spiked to .5)
    CH :140
    TA: 120
    PH: 7.5
    15000 gallon in ground pool.
    White Plaster, Tucson Az
    Duel Speed Pump with Sand Filter.
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with some Cloudiness

You might not have backwashed long enough nor rinsed long enough after backwashing, and a bunch of the fresh plaster dust got back in.

I think you have two fine ideas - take FC up a couple points and add some DE. It's exactly what I'd do.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, My pump only had 2 settings, backwash and filter. The backwash gets pumped out of the yard through the fence so I could not monitor untill it was clear, so I backwashed for 1min each time. Seemed reasonable amount of time.

Thanks for the opinion and I'll give it a go, for both ideas at once.

I love this pool and this site! Everyone here really is friendly and supportive!

Thanks!
    15000 gallon in ground pool.
    White Plaster, Tucson Az
    Duel Speed Pump with Sand Filter.
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

+1 what richard320 said.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I replaced my old cartridge filter with a sand filter three weeks ago. Even though I backwashed at startup, I had the same persistent slightly dull water. My numbers were pretty good (TA was a little low). It's only been this weekend that the pool finally started looking VERY nice. I think you just need to give that filter some more time and keep checking your numbers. I have not tried the DE additive yet, but I think I will. Seem to come highly recommended.
    16,000 gal in-ground Pebble-tec pool / Pebble-sheen spa. Jandy AquaPure 1400 SW Cl gen (SWG) system. In-floor cleaning system w/ Hayward EcoStar 2.0 HP VSP pump. Hayward 31" sand filter. 900 sq ft Heliocol solar panels (on roof) w/ separate 1 HP Pentair WhisperFlow single speed pump. Water feature with separate Hayward 0.85 HP VSP pump.