Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Techniques used to not lose stir bar

1. Back To Top    #1

Hunt Valley, MD

Techniques used to not lose stir bar

This might sound like a stupid question but was wondering what people do to not lose their stir bar with speedstir after each test. Mine fell in the pool and I had to go after it. I was wondering if someone had a technique so I would not get the chemicals all over my hands to get the stir bar out after each test.

28000 gallon outdoor in-ground Plaster Pool; 3/4 HP PB4-60 Polaris Pump; Magnetek Century Centurion 2 HP Filter Pump; Pentair FNS Plus 60sq ft DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Techniques used to not lose stir bar

I pour my test stuff out in a graveled dead zone in my yard, then rinse with more pool water from my sample cup. The final rinse is right above the step, so when they fall out, it's only 4" deep.

Or just get yourself a long nail or bolt and fish it out, since it's magnetic.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Dump it into a small bucket, bowl, or similar, through a strainer or colander if you don't want it on your hands. You can try reaching it with a bolt or something like that, but I don't think the magnet is strong enough to be picked up like that though.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

4. Back To Top    #4

Long Beach, CA

I have multiple stir bars so I bring the cylinders inside and flush the cylinders and stir bars in a sink. I close the drain enough so the stir bars will not go down it. Ebay is a good place for extra stir bars.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process