Why is my water cloudy now?

May 16, 2013
Long story short, we had a huge torrential rain last weekend that caused my pool water to rise so much that the skimmers closed, and the pump shut off, thinking there was a blockage.

We ended up with a ton of dirt in the pool that we cleaned, and swam all week in the pool.

When I got home late last night, I noticed something seemed off. The water seemed cloudy, but because it was dark, I couldn't do much. This morning I looked and the water is definitely cloudy. Here are my readings as of 8:00 AM central time:

FC. 4.5
CC .5
CYA 50
PH 7.4
TA 180

Normally it has been crystal clear, but now you lose sight of the bottom right where the shallow end starts to drop off. I'm baffled, because numbers have been almost exact since the pool opened.

Thanks for your thoughts!

There is nothing in the numbers that would indicate algae (unless your FC slipped badly when you were cleaning up the pool).

If your FC has been steady throughout that ordeal, I think I might try elevating the SWG up to around 8-10 ppm for a day or two. Even if it is algae, that elevated level would keep it from getting away and just might cure the problem. It's sort of an inbetween measure that might save a few bucks and will not hurt you

If the pool stayed cloudy after that, I would certainly start the shock process. Doing so immediately would be fine, too.

Thanks everyone! As a way of attempting to manage the situation without going to full shock, I did bump the SWG to full (I have an IC40 for a 25,000 gallon pool), and added 2 gallons of 8.25% bleach (to help raise the FC quicker). It has been holding steady at 7 all day, and I can tell you clarity is coming back, and I can now see setiment in the deep end, which is being dealt with by our Aquabot turbo.

The last reading I took had FC at 7 and no CC, so I am going to watch it in the evening and on the overnight.

I do think something was starting to bloom, but thankfully with all your help I got to it right before it became a major problem.

I am still finding that right balance of how long to run the pump at lower rpm and how much chlorine to produce from the SWG to keep balance. It seemed good until that storm came through that was unlike any normal weather pattern we get.

Thanks to EVERYONE on this forum!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.