Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why is my water cloudy now?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why is my water cloudy now?

Long story short, we had a huge torrential rain last weekend that caused my pool water to rise so much that the skimmers closed, and the pump shut off, thinking there was a blockage.

We ended up with a ton of dirt in the pool that we cleaned, and swam all week in the pool.

When I got home late last night, I noticed something seemed off. The water seemed cloudy, but because it was dark, I couldn't do much. This morning I looked and the water is definitely cloudy. Here are my readings as of 8:00 AM central time:

FC. 4.5
    CC .5
    CYA 50
    PH 7.4
    TA 180

Normally it has been crystal clear, but now you lose sight of the bottom right where the shallow end starts to drop off. I'm baffled, because numbers have been almost exact since the pool opened.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    18x36 IG vinyl, Sta-Rite S8D110 DE Filter, Intelliflo VS +SVRS, IC40 SWG, 2 skimmers & 1 main, 1 1/2" plumbing, 2" at pad, Aquabot Turbo T

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why is my water cloudy now?

You could have the start of an algae bloom.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Time to start the shock process!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you start shocking now in the beginning stages of an algae outbreak it will go more quickly.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm betting all that dirt brought all kinds of nasties with it. That's the beginnings of algae.

[center:2q2cl6n7][youtube:2q2cl6n7]uijLXS-IJZM[/youtube:2q2cl6n7][/center:2q2cl6n7]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

There is nothing in the numbers that would indicate algae (unless your FC slipped badly when you were cleaning up the pool).

If your FC has been steady throughout that ordeal, I think I might try elevating the SWG up to around 8-10 ppm for a day or two. Even if it is algae, that elevated level would keep it from getting away and just might cure the problem. It's sort of an inbetween measure that might save a few bucks and will not hurt you

If the pool stayed cloudy after that, I would certainly start the shock process. Doing so immediately would be fine, too.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I concur.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone! As a way of attempting to manage the situation without going to full shock, I did bump the SWG to full (I have an IC40 for a 25,000 gallon pool), and added 2 gallons of 8.25% bleach (to help raise the FC quicker). It has been holding steady at 7 all day, and I can tell you clarity is coming back, and I can now see setiment in the deep end, which is being dealt with by our Aquabot turbo.

The last reading I took had FC at 7 and no CC, so I am going to watch it in the evening and on the overnight.

I do think something was starting to bloom, but thankfully with all your help I got to it right before it became a major problem.

I am still finding that right balance of how long to run the pump at lower rpm and how much chlorine to produce from the SWG to keep balance. It seemed good until that storm came through that was unlike any normal weather pattern we get.

Thanks to EVERYONE on this forum!!
    18x36 IG vinyl, Sta-Rite S8D110 DE Filter, Intelliflo VS +SVRS, IC40 SWG, 2 skimmers & 1 main, 1 1/2" plumbing, 2" at pad, Aquabot Turbo T

9. Back To Top    #9

Good job. !!

Jeff