Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clear pool water with green tint... Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Clear pool water with green tint... Help

We put up our 16'x42" intext easy set up pool 3 days ago. The first night I put stabilizer b/c I had to go by other products. The following day the pool water turned a dark green tint but still clear. I put a chlorine tablet in the hanging feeder thing and metal control in. I have never had a pool before this is all instructions by my neighbors who have a crystal clear pool every year. Next morning pool was a tiny bit lighter green but still green and clear. I shocked it that night. In the morning it was lighter yet so it's a light green tint and clear water. Should I shock again and put algeacide in?? I'm not sure what to do... .??

2. Back To Top    #2

Howell, NJ

Re: Clear pool water with green tint... Help

Did you fill from a well? Did it turn green before or after adding chlorine? Clear green is usually iron, which is common in well water. A picture and a full set of test results would make it easier to figure out the problem.
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

3. Back To Top    #3

We have city water. It turned green before we put the chlorine in. I took a water sample up to the local pool store and they said it was from iron and so I bought a bottle of metal out from them. Hopefully this works. Others have told me to use algaecide but he said that wasn't the problem....

4. Back To Top    #4

Central Illinois

I had the same problem with my pool when I started. Clear water, but green tint. I added most of a bottle of metal out, and by the time the CL and pH got stabilized a few days later, the green tint was gone.
    8K Gal, Intex 20' X 48" Ultra Frame Round Pool (PVC Liner), Cartridge Filter
    First pool setup 6/17/13
    I am both a newbie and a cheapskate. Please forgive my stubbornness and ignorance.
    Mental Note: Shocking the Pool does not involve an electric cord...

5. Back To Top    #5

So I put 4oz of the metal removal product they sold me in a couple hours ago into a bucket and mixed it with water to dilute it then added it to the pool. Now a couple hours later the pool has turned brown???? I thought it was supposed to remove the green tint not turn it a completely different color??? I know it would probably take a couple days or so to do so but is this normal??