Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: is pump adequate?

1. Back To Top    #1

is pump adequate?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a diy 18x36 vinyl liner with a cozy cove. The cove has 6 jets, the pool will have two returns, main drain and an aqua genie skimmer. After a little research I'm thinking Hayward Tristar 1.5hp two speed pump. It's plumbed for 2". I'm being told 1.5hp is fine but the 2" is needed to supply the volume consumed by the added jets. I'll pipe the cozy cove with it's own ball valve so we can shut them off when not needed. Any opinions? Thanks
    DIY 18x36 vinyl IG, T-15 SWG, Hayward sand filter, Hayward super pump, Cozy Cove, Aquabot Rapids 4Wd. Solar Cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: is pump adequate?

100W,
    My opinion?
    Try to avoid ball valves, especially cheap ones. They often degrade and break within a few years, usually requiring re-plumbing, repairs, adjustments, and often digging too. Please use quality valves, for your own sake.
    AP
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by alanpaul
    100W,
    My opinion?
    Try to avoid ball valves, especially cheap ones. They often degrade and break within a few years, usually requiring re-plumbing, repairs, adjustments, and often digging too. Please use quality valves, for your own sake.
    AP
    I'm a plumbing contractor so I know all about cheap ball valves. You get what you pay for. Thanks for the info.
    DIY 18x36 vinyl IG, T-15 SWG, Hayward sand filter, Hayward super pump, Cozy Cove, Aquabot Rapids 4Wd. Solar Cover.

4. Back To Top    #4

One other question - Schedule 40 rigid pvc vs. the flex? I've been told grubs eat the flex pipe. Any truth to that?