Whats the best way to add WASTE line to sand filter set-up?

shorelined

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
My Triton II only has a filter or backwash option. I desperately need to vac-to-waste algae dust.

I'd like to add a simple T and valve (or valve in-line) along the PVC 1/2 way between the pump (outlet) and sand filter (inlet) but cannot find any examples of this.

My questions are:
Should I use 2 valves? One opening the line (above) coming from the pump. Having water flow directly into the yard.
2nd one placed after the first valve, to shut off filter inlet, preventing water from flowing to (or from) sand filter. Dont know if pressure would cause some backflow, etc.

Also, would pressure be too great to reduce to a 3/4" hose bibb? Many people talk about using a garden hose for vac-to-waste on cartridge systems, but it seems like a ton of water would becoming through my 1.5hp pump. Would the volume be the same as back-washing?

Please tell me if any of you know there is a good way to do so. Plan to do this today, Saturday, by hook or crook!

Re: Whats the best way to add WASTE line to sand filter set-

If you really want that, adding a three way valve between the pump and the main valve is the simplest approach. Replacing your main valve with one that includes a waste setting is a more complete, but more complex solution.

There are very few cases where you actually need to vacuum to waste, and algae dust is not one of them. If you are concerned about getting what is vacuumed up out of the pool simply backwash after you are done vacuuming (on filter).

I've tried vacuuming several times and the whole pool clouds up terribly. You can watch as the dust comes right back through the returns. I never had this problem caring for my parents cartridge system for over 10 years. Only with my sand filter this year. Even if I only use it on occasion, I'd still like to have a vac-to-waste option (without having to pay $150 for a multiport)

This has been so much effort without results watching the dust settle just as thick as before.

I tied a plastic bag around line where I'd like to add a valve.

I'll look into the 3-way Jandy. Not sure what you mean by main valve though.

Thx

Attachments

• IMG00842-20130701-1700.jpg
    IMG00842-20130701-1700.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG00841-20130701-1659.jpg
    IMG00841-20130701-1659.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG00840-20130701-1658.jpg
    IMG00840-20130701-1658.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 30

Actually, you would be better off replacing the 90 turn above the pump with a 3-day. It is best that the "common" pipe be the center port of the 3-way. So in the last picture, your waste would be heading out to the right.

You could put the 3-way where the bag is, but you have to ensure that you can actually turn the valve so that the center port is closed ... this is not easy without modifying the Jandy valve ... much easier with Pentail valves. And in reality ... you may not be able to fit the valve there as the filter will be causing interference.

By "main valve" Jason meant your backwash valve ... replace your plunger with a multi-port would be pretty tricky.

If the dirt comes right through the filter, something is wrong with the filter. The most likely possibility is that the sand has become channeled, though something more serious could be wrong. I recommend that you resettle the sand bed inside the filter, and while you have it open look around to see if you can see anything broken.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.