Cloudy water after adding calcium and alkalinity plus

May 3, 2013
Ok, so I held off for awhile and tried to figure this out on my own but I need some help getting my pool water clear. This is my first post here so please bare with me. I made the mistake of opening my pool a couple weeks later than normal because I wanted to install my newly purchased SWG first and ended up with a pool full of green water. So the first thing I did was added 2 pounds of shock which I believe was Dichlor and a gallon of algaecide. The next day the water was still green so I had the water tested at a pool store and the results are as follows
FC - .11
CC - .2
PH - 8.1
TA - 32
CH - 20
CYA - 9
Saturation index - -0.7
At that point I was told to add 5lbs of Alk plus and 20-25pds of calcium, 4 gallons of liquid shock and 1 gallon of algaecide. The next morning I woke up to clear water with algae just on the bottom of the pool which I vacuumed up. At that point my water was clear. I then added the required salt to begin getting my salt levels between 2700-3400ppm. Since my SWG is brand new, the instructions say to have the water chemistry at ideal levels and running the filter for 24 to 48 hrs before turning on the cell so I had the water retested. Results
FC - .19
CC - 0
PH - 7.3
TA - 38
CH - 100
CYA - 3
Saturation index - -0.9
So I was told to add 5 more pounds of Alk plus and 15 more pounds of calcium plus. I now how cloudy water and I have no idea why. Any advise or input is greatly appreciated.

dpatern21 said:
Ok, so I held off for awhile and tried to figure this out on my own but I need some help getting my pool water clear. This is my first post here so please bare with me. I made the mistake of opening my pool a couple weeks later than normal because I wanted to install my newly purchased SWG first and ended up with a pool full of green water. So the first thing I did was added 2 pounds of shock which I believe was Dichlor and a gallon of algaecide. The next day the water was still green so I had the water tested at a pool store and the results are as follows
FC - .11
CC - .2
PH - 8.1
TA - 32
CH - 20
CYA - 9
Saturation index - -0.7
At that point I was told to add 5lbs of Alk plus and 20-25pds of calcium, 4 gallons of liquid shock and 1 gallon of algaecide. The next morning I woke up to clear water with algae just on the bottom of the pool which I vacuumed up. At that point my water was clear. I then added the required salt to begin getting my salt levels between 2700-3400ppm. Since my SWG is brand new, the instructions say to have the water chemistry at ideal levels and running the filter for 24 to 48 hrs before turning on the cell so I had the water retested. Results
FC - .19
CC - 0
PH - 7.3
TA - 38
CH - 100
CYA - 3
Saturation index - -0.9
So I was told to add 5 more pounds of Alk plus and 15 more pounds of calcium plus. I now how cloudy water and I have no idea why. Any advise or input is greatly appreciated.

The alk plus you added - does it say carbonate of soda on the packet? If so, when added too quickly the water can turn milky white. In this case add liquid floculant with the pump running, turn the pump off after the floc has circulated in the pool for ten minutes, don´t use the pool for 12 hours or so and the carbonate should sink to the bottom of the pool. You can then vacuum to waste to clear it from the pool.

Welcome to the forum. :lol: The consensus on this forum is not to use a flocculant unless you have exhausted all other means.

The cloudy water will likely dissipate over the next few days but you have a much larger issue looming.....You have no chlorine in your pool.

The testing your are getting from the pool store is completely bogus and, for us to help you, you will have to ditch the pool store and get a reliable test kit so you can post some meaningful results.

FC - .11 - That's the same as NONE, if it can be trusted. no reliable FC test can provide that precision, anyway
CC - .2 - perhaps
PH - 8.1 - perhaps
TA - 32 - almost surely way off if your pH is to be believed
CH - 20 - perhaps but not likely unless you filled the pool with softened water
CYA - 9 - impossible to test that low on any reliable CYA test.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.....that'll get you started with a better understanding of pool water chemistry and also give you some "normals" so you know where you should be.

Until you decide to do your own testing and manage your own pool, you will be at the mercy of the pool store and they have already demonstrated they cannot test your water with any believability.

Please don't waste your money on a flocculant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.