Just filled...now what?

Jun 28, 2013
Michigan
We just filled our 24ft round Doughboy pool. So newly filled that the skimmer isn't installed. I have a DE filter and an intex SWG. But I don't have a clue what to do first!!! Test? Then add salt and bleach? I have read the pool school and feel good about the weeks to come, but I am not sure what to do right now. Any help would be fabulous!!

Welcome to TFP!

Hopefully you got one of the recommended test kits already.

Post up a full set of results. At s minimum you need to add salt (SWG off), chlorine and stabilizer.

Fyi, forum will be going down in 30 minutes for the night.

start with PH. unless it is balanced correctly now. but get the filter/and skimmer installed and going.
you will need it to circulate your added chemicals.
read BBB set up yet> easiest way.
use bleach until the SWG is up and ready.
get some initial readings and use the pool calculator just do not install too much chem at first.
it is easier to add and make up later than over shoot.
http://www.thepoolcalculator.com/
scroll down and tell it TFP set up back to top and calculate your readings.

Just got filter and skimmer up and running. Tested this is what I got

Fc 0
Ph way more redr than scale can even give me a reading for
Ta 60
Ch 140
Didn't test cya becuase I know there is none.

I entered it all in the pool calculator but what should I add first? Can I add more than one thing at a time? Thanks!

darbigross said:
Just got filter and skimmer up and running. Tested this is what I got

Fc 0
Ph way more redr than scale can even give me a reading for
Ta 60
Ch 140
Didn't test cya becuase I know there is none.

I entered it all in the pool calculator but what should I add first? Can I add more than one thing at a time? Thanks!
If pH is off the scale, you have no idea just how high it is. If it's 8.2, a pint of acid will bring it down to about 7.5. So add that, let it circulate and brush a little to get it well mixed, and recheck it in half an hour. If you're somewhere between 7.2 and 7.8, move on to adding bleach. If it's still too high, calculate the dose using http://www.poolcalculator.com/ As soon as your pH is in the safe zone, use http://www.poolcalculator.com/ to add 3 PPM chlorine. Be sure to pick the right strength for the bleach you're using. Any time in there you can monkey around measuring out CYA in a sock. Target 60 - it's easy to add more later if you come up a short. Assume it's around 30 tomorrow and target about 4 FC. Don't bother testing CYA for a week. But keep tabs on pH and FC. Just allow at least 30 minutes ruin time between chemical additions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
YAY tested and am 7.2 added only 3 cups of borax to return to the wanted range. Everything else is holding steady where it was before. Prepping my stabilizer sock (which sounds like a medical device...) and going to put some bleach in this evening. Excited for the children to swim tomorrow...71 is still WAY to cold for me! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.