Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner with test results

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner with test results

I just received my TF100 Test Kit and followed the test instructions on the card. I must have missed the pH test.

Here is what I got-

FC=1ppm
    CC=.5ppm
    TC=1.5PPM
    TA=80
    CH=160
    CYA=>100 (It didn't even get high enough in the tube to register

I know the previous owner of the pool added 6 of the pucks to the chlorine generator every Saturday. Based on my limited reading here and pool school, that is why the CYA is off the charts, right? What should I do to start? Do I really need to replace 60% of my water as the pool calculator says?

Thanks for any help because I have only been a pool owner for 2 weeks
    16 x 32 Rectangular IG Vinyl Pool 19,065 Gal 512 Sq. Ft. Surface Area Raypak RP2100 Heater Hayward SP-1084 Auto-Skim Hayward CL-200 Chlorine Feeder Hayward S-200 Sand Filter Hayward SP-710X32 Vari-Flo Filter Control Valve.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner with test results

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, yes. Maintaining the pool with a CYA over 100 (and who knows how high it is over 100) is pretty much impossible. You may want to try the dilution method to get a better idea of exactly how high you are above 100. Mix half and half pool water and tap water, then run the test with that mixture. Multiply your result by 2. That will get you closer to the actual amount of water you will have to drain.

How does the water look?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP !! Yes. The only way to get the CYA down is to replace some water. That high of a CYA is going to be hard to manage your FC. I would get it to the 30-50 ppm level

Just my 0.02.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

First of all, I can't tell you how nice it is for a new pool owner on his first post to include VALID test results. It makes it so much easier to help.

The Bad news now is that, yes, we will ask you to replace some water. Water is cheaper than most people realize seeming to average about $5/1000 gallons in most areas. hope yours is down around that price.

And, yes, that is exactly why your CYA is so high....those pucks.

So, with CYA that high you need to maintain your FC up around 7-12 ppm to keep your pool sanitary at all times. It can be done but it almost unmanageable that high and, if you have to shock, you will need about 40 ppm chlorine. Yikes!

If it was my pool, I would immediately elevate the FC to up around 10 ppm and plan on keep it there until you can start a series of drain refills to get the CYA down. If you do 1/3 of your pool twice you will be in good shape the rest of the swim season and can start keeping your FC around 4-6 ppm which is much easier and much less expensive.

Tell us how your water looks?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Is there any risk of causing a problem with the liner of my vinyl pool if I drain so much water?
    16 x 32 Rectangular IG Vinyl Pool 19,065 Gal 512 Sq. Ft. Surface Area Raypak RP2100 Heater Hayward SP-1084 Auto-Skim Hayward CL-200 Chlorine Feeder Hayward S-200 Sand Filter Hayward SP-710X32 Vari-Flo Filter Control Valve.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you only do a third at a time you'll be fine. In ground or above ground?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

I really don't see any risk. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it stays in place. I would get it filled back up ASAP.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Should I just drain it by backwashing the filter or is there a better way?

9. Back To Top    #9

Is it in ground or above ground? You should not really pump it all out on backwash. If you have waste option that would work if you can isolate the floor drain.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

I've never worked on the filter or anything yet, so I guess I will have to figure it out. Is there anywhere I can read about the correct way to backwash my sand filter, clean my pump, and drain water correctly so I son't mess anything up?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by swoop19
    I've never worked on the filter or anything yet, so I guess I will have to figure it out. Is there anywhere I can read about the correct way to backwash my sand filter, clean my pump, and drain water correctly so I son't mess anything up?
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/cleaning%20pool%20filters

There's also a bunch of how-to videos on youtube.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

I just drained roughly 1/4 of the pool and I am refilling as we speak.

What should I do next?

Should I wait until full and completely retest or should I get some bleach in there right away?

Also, Which number do I need to get correct first? my PH, my CYA, my FC?

13. Back To Top    #13

Keep some bleach in there and recheck the CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

14. Back To Top    #14

I rechecked the CYA again and it was still off the chart, so I did it again diluted 50% (roughly) with tap water. I got a reading of 90 which I then doubled to get 180. That is not good.

I'm assuming I need to drain a lot more water and replace, right? How much can I safely drain without worrying about the liner?

If the answer is 1/3, how do you tell what that is? my pool is 16 x 32 and goes from 3 to 5.5 feet deep.

15. Back To Top    #15

Leave at least a foot of water on the shallow end and you should be fine. That would be close to 50%. Do that twice and you should be in range.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks, I will go ahead and do that. Looks like my water bill will be high this month. Oh well, it will be a lot cheaper to get it right from the get go.

17. Back To Top    #17

That's the way to look at it swoop !

Jeff