Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to read tests

1. Back To Top    #1

How to read tests

Brand new here. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. How can I figure up chlorine levels when they go beyond my test's color levels? I just purchased the Leslie's Total Poolcare DPD Test Kit. In other words, the color i'm getting is darker than the darkest purple on the chlorine cell. I have been shocking heavily for a couple days to get rid of mustard algae. No sign of the algae and my water is almost clear, ever so slightly cloudy. I just want to make sure it's safe to swim in tomorrow. I purchased some chlorine neutralizer but I'd like to have the exact ppm number before doing anything else.
    4500 gal, AG, Intex Sand SF-10110

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to read tests

Welcome to TFP!

The only way to be "accurate" is to get a better chlorine test, specifically the FAS-DPD chlorine test. It can measure FC and CC levels from 0 to 50 in steps of 0.5.

You can get an approximate level with your current test by using dilution. Mix equal parts of pool water and chlorine free water (filtered or distilled), test that, and multiply the result by two. The precision will be less than half that of the normal way of using the DPD test, but it is closer than guessing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

So basically I blew $48.99 on a test kit without FAS-DPD Think they'll let me return it? I'm going to put in a little neutralizer to see if I can get the chlorine down within range. Thanks for the help!
    4500 gal, AG, Intex Sand SF-10110

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Flaash2
    So basically I blew $48.99 on a test kit without FAS-DPD Think they'll let me return it? I'm going to put in a little neutralizer to see if I can get the chlorine down within range. Thanks for the help!
    Nope, not if the plastic's broken.

You bought a K-2005, not a K-2006. They probably also told you it was the same. The good news is, you can buy just the FAS-DPD tester here

About all you can do right now to test FC is to dilute your sample with chlorine-free - think bottled - water and multiply the result. It will not be accurate, but it's better than saying "5+"

PS: It's safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA. Won't bleach swimsuits, won't sting eyes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!