Help with filter replacement

flyboytfp

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2013
SW, FL, USA
Today noticed leak on backside of PXC125 filter about 1 inch below intake port. Stream is the size of small needle.
Was going to replace with same however they say that this model has been discontinued. So maybe now is good time to try something better. No problems, however.
How say you Sand, DE, Cartilage?
Which brand/model you like?
Pool is about 11,200 gal. Pebble, AO smith 1.5 HP single speed, Hayward SWG.
Your suggestions appreciated. Jim

FBtfp,
If you like Cartridge filters, which you've had, I'd consider upgrading to a 150 sq. foot, or even 200 sq. feet, for less frequent cleanings. Also, for simplicity, you might try to find out if anyone makes a filter that would slip right in with your plumbing, requiring little or no modification to your pipes.

Regarding DE: minimum 36 sq. feet, but some people who've never used one before do not appreciate the mess of cleaning it, backwashing, and replacing DE. The filters themselves can be costly upfront, and some plumbing changes are generally required.

I'm not a fan of sand filters, so you'll need to get someone else's recommendations on Sand.

Personally, I've had DE, now I have a cartridge. I think they both are convenient and work very well. A cartridge, with a cup or so of DE added, is less work for similar filtration, in my opinion.

I hope you get exactly what you want, at a great price, with an easy installation.

jblizzle said:
General recommendations would be a minimum of:
166 sqft cartridge
20" diameter sand
31 sqft DE
Thanks everybody. Looking at sand filters, these two: Hayward S244T Pro Top Mount 24" with 1.5" Vari-Flo Valve and Triton II TR 49 GPM 2.46 SF and I think 2" Hi Flow Valve Side Mount.
Please comment on these two items for me to consider.
Any comments on using Zeosand?
Do I have too much Motor/Pump for my pool filter? Looking at this :pentair Whisper-Flo Pump, Med. Head, Up-Rated, EE, 1 HP, Model WFE-24, 115/230v.
Comments Please.
Thanks Jim

Attachments

• Pump_Label.JPG
    Pump_Label.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 27
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.