Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with filter replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with filter replacement

Today noticed leak on backside of PXC125 filter about 1 inch below intake port. Stream is the size of small needle.
    Was going to replace with same however they say that this model has been discontinued. So maybe now is good time to try something better. No problems, however.
    How say you Sand, DE, Cartilage?
    Which brand/model you like?
    Pool is about 11,200 gal. Pebble, AO smith 1.5 HP single speed, Hayward SWG.
    Your suggestions appreciated. Jim
    11.2K gal, IG pebble, 1.5 HP pump single speed, 200 sq ft cartridge filter, built 1997, Taylor K-2006, SWG Hayward T9 6/13, Borax treatment, Return to 6 wall ports 2" pipe from pad to 1.5" pipe, Return to 8 floor outlets 2" pipe, total of two returns, and two suction pipes both 2", Skimmer(1) Main(1), No Spa or other equipment.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with filter replacement

For your application, sand or DE.

Sand will last forever, but won't grab the really fine particles.

DE will filter finer gunk, but will require more maintenance.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

FBtfp,
    If you like Cartridge filters, which you've had, I'd consider upgrading to a 150 sq. foot, or even 200 sq. feet, for less frequent cleanings. Also, for simplicity, you might try to find out if anyone makes a filter that would slip right in with your plumbing, requiring little or no modification to your pipes.

Regarding DE: minimum 36 sq. feet, but some people who've never used one before do not appreciate the mess of cleaning it, backwashing, and replacing DE. The filters themselves can be costly upfront, and some plumbing changes are generally required.

I'm not a fan of sand filters, so you'll need to get someone else's recommendations on Sand.

Personally, I've had DE, now I have a cartridge. I think they both are convenient and work very well. A cartridge, with a cup or so of DE added, is less work for similar filtration, in my opinion.

I hope you get exactly what you want, at a great price, with an easy installation.
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

4. Back To Top    #4

General recommendations would be a minimum of:
    166 sqft cartridge
    20" diameter sand
    31 sqft DE
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks every one. Helpful input.
    Any experience with Jandy CS200?
    Jim
    11.2K gal, IG pebble, 1.5 HP pump single speed, 200 sq ft cartridge filter, built 1997, Taylor K-2006, SWG Hayward T9 6/13, Borax treatment, Return to 6 wall ports 2" pipe from pad to 1.5" pipe, Return to 8 floor outlets 2" pipe, total of two returns, and two suction pipes both 2", Skimmer(1) Main(1), No Spa or other equipment.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    General recommendations would be a minimum of:
    166 sqft cartridge
    20" diameter sand
    31 sqft DE
    Thanks everybody. Looking at sand filters, these two: Hayward S244T Pro Top Mount 24" with 1.5" Vari-Flo Valve and Triton II TR 49 GPM 2.46 SF and I think 2" Hi Flow Valve Side Mount.
    Please comment on these two items for me to consider.
    Any comments on using Zeosand?
    Do I have too much Motor/Pump for my pool filter? Looking at this :Pentair Whisper-Flo Pump, Med. Head, Up-Rated, EE, 1 HP, Model WFE-24, 115/230v.
    Comments Please.
    Thanks Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

All comments appreciated. Thanks Jim