I want to upgrade the pump on my Summer Escape pool and...

Jun 28, 2013
the pool has a hole for the output side of the pump and a surface skimmer for the input side of the pump. I'm interested in getting the Intex sand filter/saltwater system but am unsure how to attach the hose from the input side of the system to the pool. Do I have to cut a hole? Thanks!

Re: I want to upgrade the pump on my Summer Escape pool and.

I have a 16' Summer Escapes pool with the Intex 2650 sand filter. You don't have to cut any holes in the liner. You can connect the hose going into the Intex pump to the skimmer either by buying the summer escapes skimmer adaptor, you can find it on amazon.com or attach it to the summer escapes pump that mounts on the bottom of the skimmer. I have read on the forum where some have taken the impeller out of the summer escapes pump but it's not necessary. I used the hose and hose clamps that came with my pool. One end is attached to the pump on the bottom of the skimmer the other end is attached to the bottom of an Intex plunger valve that is screwed to the skimmer basket on my Intex pump.

The Intex strainer adapter,where the adjustable inlet nozzle attaches will probably be larger than the hole in your liner for the return nozzle. So you may have to cut the liner to enlarge the hole. But, that's only if you want to use the Intex return. You can use the return that came with your pool by attaching it to Intex adaptor B that will come with the sand fiter.

If your summer escapes came with the 1500gph pump like mine did I don't think they make a strainer adapter that fits, they're all for smaller pumps, you have to leave the old pump on. I did and I run that old pump 24/7 (it's only 110ish watts).

My intex sand filter didn't come with any adapters. I had to buy these:
http://www.amazon.com/GAME-4550-Filter- ... B004TN6EEU

Put those on inlet and outlet to the new pump/filter and clamp on some 1.5" ID tube to them that goes to my old pump and my old return.

If you get cuffed 1.5" hoses they leak a lot less than the 1-piece-molded type that comes with the summer escapes. Edit: but if your se pool came with less than a 1500gph pump it may use smaller than 1.5.

Thanks for the suggestions. The pump on my pool is really small. Doesn't seem like it would be 1500gph. It says 1000 on the side of the skimmer but even that doesn't seem possible. Another question. Most pools that have the skimmer in the pump section have the intake point much lower than the skimmer on my pool. Seems like it would work more efficiently that way. Would I be better off cutting a new intake hole much lower?

john redcorn said:
If your summer escapes came with the 1500gph pump like mine did I don't think they make a strainer adapter that fits, they're all for smaller pumps, you have to leave the old pump on. I did and I run that old pump 24/7 (it's only 110ish watts).

My intex sand filter didn't come with any adapters. I had to buy these:
http://www.amazon.com/GAME-4550-Filter- ... B004TN6EEU

Put those on inlet and outlet to the new pump/filter and clamp on some 1.5" ID tube to them that goes to my old pump and my old return.

If you get cuffed 1.5" hoses they leak a lot less than the 1-piece-molded type that comes with the summer escapes. Edit: but if your se pool came with less than a 1500gph pump it may use smaller than 1.5.

My new Intex 1600 gph sand filter/saltwater system is on it's way! I also bought those same adapters.

emmagata said:
Thanks for the suggestions. The pump on my pool is really small. Doesn't seem like it would be 1500gph. It says 1000 on the side of the skimmer but even that doesn't seem possible. Another question. Most pools that have the skimmer in the pump section have the intake point much lower than the skimmer on my pool. Seems like it would work more efficiently that way. Would I be better off cutting a new intake hole much lower?

Intex pools have the intake for the water way under the waterline and no skimmer on the pool. I don't think that's as good as what we have. Ours pull bugs and leaves and junk right off the surface of the water. Lots of people cut into intex pools to add a skimmer, that skimmer on the intex pump I guess should be thought of as secondary to prevent damage to the pump should something get through. (while you're cleaning primary skimmer basket for example) "Real" pools have a skimmer like that on the pump but they also all have a pool-installed skimmer right at the waterline like we do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.