Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brown pool :(

1. Back To Top    #1

Brown pool :(

We were away for 2 days. Water was a beautiful blue when we left. I even put the SWG on boost because we were expecting storms. Well, we came home to a brown pool that was filled to the very top. I backwashed for 3-4 minutes, rinsed and then wasted tons of water.

My FC is 3, pH is 7.4, CYA is 40 (have had to add so much water lately and added stabilizer on Wednesday, so that number may not be accurate)

I think the brown color is from Clay dirt that must have washed into the pool from our backyard. There was TONS of dirt on the steps and in the seats. I have brushed and put the vacuum in. Should I start the shock process?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Brown pool :(

Should I start the shock process?
    Not yet. It's going to be tough but you need to get as much of that dirt as possible out of the pool first. I would start by vacuuming s-lo-o-owly across the pool floor to waste. Then I'd let it settle overnight and repeat.

Then vacuum to filter and backwash often. The dirt will have quite a bit of inorganic matter in it and chlorine won't touch it. You must manually remove it and then start the shock process....it's gonna' be a hassle
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Should I start the shock process?
    Not yet. It's going to be tough but you need to get as much of that dirt as possible out of the pool first. I would start by vacuuming s-lo-o-owly across the pool floor to waste. Then I'd let it settle overnight and repeat.

Then vacuum to filter and backwash often. The dirt will have quite a bit of inorganic matter in it and chlorine won't touch it. You must manually remove it and then start the shock process....it's gonna' be a hassle

We have an Aquabot vaccum. Is that going to be good enough or do I need to haul out the old hose and hook up the
    manual vac? This sure hasn't been a very fun pool season so far.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Manual vac. If it's as dirty as you say, your aquabot will be quickly overwhelmed.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School