Need Help Please

Jun 28, 2013
Hi, I am new and could really use some help. I have an Intex ultraframe above ground pool. It is 16 x 48. I was planning to use my salt water generator but it is not working (I had added 3 40 pound bags of salt to start, ran the filter for 24 hrs (as recommended) went to turn on my system and it does not work. Anyway I decided forget the whole salt water system because I am not buying another one. the next day I decided I would just use baking soda (to raise my ph as suggested by a friend and it worked. (got my ph around 7.5 ) My friend also suggested using bleach instead of chlorine tablets so I started by adding 1 gallon and within 15 minutes my water turned green. I am beyond frustrated. The water was crystal clear before the bleach. I researched the internet and found this website which seems awesome. I just don't know what my next step should be. I am running the filter hoping it will clear up by tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

I think the water turning green was more of a chemical reaction. It literally started turning green within minutes. The salt I had initially put in for my salt water system must have reacted to the bleach. I tested the water and my chlorine levels are really high. I can smell the bleach in the water. I just started draining my pool and I'll have to start from scratch. I just don't want anyone swimming in that water and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I wish I didn't have too but it just seems like the best alternative. Once I refill the pool and I add the baking soda to get the ph level stable what should I put in next?

Your "green" issue is simply going to repeat, I'm afraid. It is almost certainly iron from your well water that is reacting to the chlorine.

Why do you think draining and refilling will help? Do you think it was from having the chlorine in there?

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School to start getting a better understanding of your chemistry.

I had just never had this happen before and I have used well water for my pools for years. There are many other people in my town that have I/g pools and others with these a/g pools and when I ask if this has happened to them their response is "no". You don't think the 120 lbs of salt I had initially put in is an issue? Should I maybe just drain the pool half way and get a sequesterant? Is the water safe for the kids even though it smells like bleach?

the test kit I use has the drops for chlorine and the drops for ph My ph reads around 7.2 and my chlorine reads in the 5.10 range. I was thinking about bringing a water sample to the pool store but I know they usually give a hard time when you use the BBB method as opposed to there chemicals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it was my pool (mine turns green from my well water, too), I would take these steps.

1. Don't drain....I don't think you'll gain anything.

2. Put a dose of CYA in the pool to get to 30 ppm...assume it's there....don't test for it.

3. The FC will come down on it's own pretty quick just leave it alone for now letting it come down to about 4 ppm or so and then keep it there.

4. The water is perfectly safe if you have some CYA and chlorine in there so go swimming when you like....even if it's still green.

5. I believe the green will fade away over the next 2-5 days and probably not come back. The iron that was in your well water has precipitated out into a solid form of very tiny yellowish particles.....mixed with the blue pool water, it makes your water look green.

Because you have precipitated most all of the iron out, your filter will begin to catch it and your pool should turn slowly blue. Run your pump 24/7 until it does.

If you want it to turn blue faster, you can add a sequestrant to the water. I used hth Metal Control, but alot of people like Jacks Purple Stuff for salt water pools, I just couldn't find it locally and my wife wouldn't go in the pool when it looked greenish brown. :) The sequestrant will clear it up within hours.

I apologize for not getting back sooner (my computer was down). We had brought a water sample to the pool store to see and they were stumped as well to why our water turned green. Of course they gave a printout with suggested chemicals to add and one was liquid shock. I added the recommended 12 oz. I also went to Walmart and purchased some metal control. I added that as well and lo and behold within a short while my water was crystal clear! (Needless to say, I was doing my happy dance) The water remained clear for a few days until I added a little bleach last night. I woke this morning to green water. I just added more metal control so I will wait a few hours and add some liquid shock. I decided to go back to chlorine from the store. The bleach is just too disappointing. I thank you so much for all your help and I have purchased a better test kit and am waiting for its arrival.

The Metal Control can only do so much. If you raise bleach level too high or pH gets too high, the metals will be shocked out of suspension and turn your water green again. You need to have accurate test results to be able to calculate exactly how much bleach to add and what needs to be added to keep pH low. Once you get your test kit, it will be much easier to maintain your crystal clear blue water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.