Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt on concrete

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt on concrete

Hi,

Looking to install a new pool. I am decided on a SWG. I've read that there is this big debate out there on whether salt is bad or not on concrete. I will be getting stamped concrete or a kool deck. Is the salt hard on the concrete or not?

Thanks,
    Doug

P.S. - Figuring out all the ins and outs of pool items is like going to the moon LOL!!! And I love details!!!...but geez!!
    13,500 Gallon Gunite Aggregate Finish, DE, SWG, 2.0 HP pump, 1.0 HP pump for 3 Sheer Descents

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt on concrete

The impact to concrete is pretty minimal ... the streets in the midwest seen much more harsh levels of salt in the winter than your deck will.

The real concern is with softer natural stone like flagstone.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you look around the internet you'll see all sorts of horror stories with questionable credibility. I have kool deck, a SWG, and the deck is flaking badly. All of them do, eventually. A light-colored stamped deck will be just as cool as kool deck, and a lot more durable.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

We just replaced our pool, that had a stamped concrete deck that looked terrible, it was peeling badly. The former owners had a SWG and I don't know if that is why the deck was so bad, but we went with a dyed (light brown) concrete deck. I figured the dye goes all the way through the concrete.
    25,000 Gal, Plaster, IG, Auto CL, Waterfall, IntelFlo VS Pump, Dolphin DX6 Robot, TF 100 test kit, Merlin Safety Cover Lots of Trees!, South Eastern Pa

5. Back To Top    #5

Concrete is mostly immune to salt levels you typically have with a SWG. However if you live in a very arid climate, so none of the salt ever gets washed away, the salt level on the deck can slowly build up until it eventually gets to a point where it is an issue.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Melt In The Sun,

So it seems you would not recommend salt because of it eating away the concrete? I have read enough that it sounds like it is not a good idea. Now, I see you live in AZ....and I've read that salt systems are bad in these area's due to the lack of rain. Do you regularly hose off your deck?

Thanks,
    Doug
    13,500 Gallon Gunite Aggregate Finish, DE, SWG, 2.0 HP pump, 1.0 HP pump for 3 Sheer Descents

7. Back To Top    #7

Actually he did not say it was eating away the concrete. He said it was possibly causing the kool deck coating to flake off. Personally I never saw that arty my previous house (maybe I was not there long enough).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I think my problem is a poor kooldeck application...it's very thin (<1/8"). I've seen many other kooldeck SWG pools around here that don't have that problem. Some of our friends just bought a place with a light tan stamped concrete deck and it's just as cool as my kooldeck, and looks much nicer.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden