Confusion over algaecide & clarifier

minsx

Jun 21, 2013
Salt Lake City, UT
Split by moderator from HERE. Please start your own thread with your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

I'm confused about this back and forth talk about clarifier because I've been looking to open my pool this year and use a cheaper alternative to the 60% polyquat. I found a 6% solution of the same stuff in larger container for cheaper (less money/poly product) and it's sold and marketed as an 'Algaecide AND Clarifier'. Can the Polyquat act as a clarifier then? Or are they just advertising it as that because it will prevent the water from getting cloudy in the first place by preventing algae growth (technically not the same thing)?

Here is the product:
http://www.kellysolutions.com/erenewals ... _02_PM.pdf

Or, can I not use this because it's not a high enough %? I figured if I just added more volume it would be the same. What am I missing?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

I think you are worrying over something you should not be concerned about. There is rarely EVER a need to use an algaecide or a clarifier. Save your money and use it on bleach ... chlorine is what you need to get your pool clear and to keep it that way.

If you need help clearing up your pool, read Pool School and post up a set of test results.

I wouldn't waste my time. To match the strength of 60% you'd have to add 10 times as much. Is it 1/10th the cost?

If you're trying to open the pool you don't need algaecide at all. chlorine will clear it up.

Well, I got beat but you get the message! :hammer:

OH! My apologies, I thought my question was related to the original question, and that the answer would be useful to the OP there.

OK well then, I guess I'm confused about whether or not I need algaecide?

I read Pool School, at least the parts that were applicable to me, and came across this very helpful article there: pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

It tells me to get Algaecide, specifically polyquat 60. It doesn't really tell me how much to use in the initial set up, only to 'keep adding it every week'. I assumed that the package directions would tell me how much to add on startup. From what I have read in other threads as well, it's not a 'necessary' product but it's a nice one that may buffer the pool against novice chlorine mistakes (like forgetting to add bleach one night or something).

The 6% package is 10X lower strength, but it is also 4X higher volume and 3x lower cost - so that the pool store comes out to be $12.50/cup of actual algaecide and this package comes out to be $9.38/cup of actual algaecide. Also, since I have a very small pool (intex 10') I don't need gallons and gallons of the stuff - The one gallon would likely do me fine. But, the article specifically stated 60%, so I wanted to check.

I was a little confused as to why the product package label called it 'algaecide AND clarifier', I did think that clarifiers were different products - and didn't see the need for a clarifier if your algae is taken care of. Does anybody know anything about that?

Save your money!

A pool that size can be drained and refilled in a hurry if things go haywire. And in Phoenix, expect to see the CH rise at an astonishing rate. Get some stabilizer and bleach in it, adjust the pH, and start cooling off. You can use Dichlor powder for chlorinating when you fill it up - a one pound package will raise 1200 gallons to 50 ppm - that's perfect! Just don't add it all at once; less than an ounce (1/8 cup) will put in over 3 ppm! You can chlorinate and stabilize for two weeks off one package.

Ah thank you. I was hoping to avoid refilling the pool often, but if CH rise is going to be a problem I guess I might have to. Is there any way to combat that other than (a) not using Cal-Hypo, and (b) keeping the pool covered to prevent evaporation?

P.S. Any advice on Borate as a conditioner? I've heard (and read) great things about it, but I am not sure how to integrate it into the pool set-up and maintenance, other than to use it if I need pH up.

minsx said:
Ah thank you. I was hoping to avoid refilling the pool often, but if CH rise is going to be a problem I guess I might have to. Is there any way to combat that other than (a) not using Cal-Hypo, and (b) keeping the pool covered to prevent evaporation? Fill it from a water softener. Look up Chiefwej 's posts.

P.S. Any advice on Borate as a conditioner? I've heard (and read) great things about it, but I am not sure how to integrate it into the pool set-up and maintenance, other than to use it if I need pH up.
No experience there. Never put a grain of borax in my pool.

Wow, you just want to throw as many chemicals into that pool as you can apparently.

I would suggest you focus on maintaining the basics before trying all the additives. The borates may help prevent algae to a point instead of the polyquat ... but do you have adequate means to test and adjust the pH and TA before you get to the borates?

You definitely do not want to use cal-hypo with your hard water. Stick with the dichlor that Richard suggests to start and then switch to bleach.

I find it hard to believe that 1200 gallons would even be really noticeable on the water bill if things did go south.

LOL, well, what I *wanted* was to only ever use bleach, baking soda, and borax (aka what I *thought* was the BBB method) but I was quickly 'pool schooled' otherwise. I've got the dichlor and bleach ready to go, and I'm shopping around for a good test kit (the HTH 6 way kit that walmart 'sells' apparently is not available in Phoenix, not even with site to store or to buy online). But I'm also doing this with/for my sister and her husband who have noted "the theme of our marriage is that anything which needs to be maintained will die". Because of that and the recommendation in the pool school to use algaecide on the temp pool it seemed like a good idea.

And let's be honest, Borax is awesome at lots of stuff. Why not throw some in the pool? Doesn't it make the water softer (silkier)? I want the extra *sparkle* too!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
minsx said:
Can the Polyquat act as a clarifier then?
Yes, Polyquat is a mild clarifier in addition to being an algicide. And yes, the stuff you linked to is the right stuff, though very diluted.

It's only recommended for the temporary pools because it's presumed that in such a small volume of water and for people less used to pools, that it won't be maintained as well and they may not be testing for CYA (just adding some fixed amount from initial Dichlor) and that such pools have very poor circulation so some insurance and extra help is needed. However, if you properly keep the FC at least at the minimum or high as indicated in the Chlorine / CYA Chart for your CYA level, then you should be fine without any algicide or clarifier. It's up to you if you think you're up to it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.