Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum & Skimmer Advise

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum & Skimmer Advise

So I switched from the AMAZING INTEX PUMP (insert sarcastic tone here) that came with my 18X48 Intex Easy Set pool to a Hayward WAY TOO MUCH BUT I LOVE IT pump. The Churning water is amazingly clear and sparkly and no signs of the green stuff...

The issue is now the Intex deluxe skimmer and the Intex vacuum that I used before no longer work because they stop the flow on the pump every time I try to hook one of them up....

I'm a bit frustrated ... seems like I just can't win with this darn pool

any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe a Catfish battery operated blah blah blah, but that's another hundred bucks!
    Billie

Intex AG 18X48 round easy set 5500 gal, Hayward Micro Star-Clear Cartridge Filter, Haywood PowerFlo LX 40gpm

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Vacuum & Skimmer Advise

Your sarcasm is well placed. on Intex.

The issue is now the Intex deluxe skimmer and the Intex vacuum that I used before no longer work because they stop the flow on the pump every time I try to hook one of them up....
    Help us understand that a bit better. Does the pump drop prime when you hook up the vac?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Would a plain ole manual vacuum and hose work?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you upgraded and cut a hole for a new skimmer? If you haven't, maybe you should and you can get a telescopic pole and vac head to make vacc'ing a whole lot easier.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes that is exactly what happens it drops prime. I guess I could try that manual vacuum and hose. How does that work? Does it put fresh water back into the pool or just create a suction (blonde). Please stop lol now.
    Billie

Intex AG 18X48 round easy set 5500 gal, Hayward Micro Star-Clear Cartridge Filter, Haywood PowerFlo LX 40gpm

6. Back To Top    #6

OH NO! I Don't wanna CUT anything! Too SCARY!!
    Billie

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like you need to check the basket oring and lube it up good and check and reseal the drain plug on the pump too.

The manual vacuum doesn't add any water. It runs off suction from the pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

The cutting is scary, but several of us have done it for various reasons and it's really not that bad. I agree with Bama I think you have a suction side leak, I've had the same problem with my manual vac with a through wall skimmer and hayward pump.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm more confused now (DUH). When you said manual I thought you meant those type that hook up to the water hose and have a little bag to catch junk that it sucks up. I saw them at my Academy. I have one that runs off the suction of the pump just like the skimmer, that also stops the pump as soon as I attach it to the intake opening. In fact the vacuum attaches using the skimmer.
    Billie

10. Back To Top    #10

are you getting all the air out of the Intex vac hose before you hook everything up? if not, your pump will lose prime.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Yes that is exactly what happens it drops prime.
    You are sucking in air somewhere between the connection and the vacuum head...perhaps in the hose itself. find where the air is sucking (that's why your pump drops prime) and I think you will be able to vacuum.
    Dave S.

12. Back To Top    #12

Manual as in I move it rather than automatic movement. I've used the garden hose type as well and it is manual, but if you have a vacuum hose on a head with a pole that you move around it's a manual. There are various types of automatic, some use suction, some use pressure (like the garden hose or the return water from your pump), some called robots use electricity.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the advice. I am filling the vacuum hose with water from the out take before using it, but it's pretty long to reach all the way across the pool. It does the same thing when I connect the skimmer which has a very short hose and easy to fill. The hoses that came with the Hayward pump are longer than the intex pump hoses were and I have them connected to the valves with a connector I purchased at Leslie's. Can the air leak be on that side?
    Billie

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Can the air leak be on that side?
    Perhaps.....I'm not sure which hoses you mean.

The circulatory system has a suction side and a pressure side. The suction side is all the equipment and pipes coming from the pool all the way to the pump. The pressure side is all the equipment and pipes exiting from the pump and returning water to the pool.

Pump running, The air leak will be only on the suction side.
    Dave S.

15. Back To Top    #15

Do you use the screw on attachment at the inlet for your vacuum? on attachment for the skimmer (larger) and a different attachment for the vacuum hose (smaller).... with twist style intex plunger valves.

If you are using this style of attachments you need to drill relief holes into the screw on attachment for the vacuum hose. The attachment has a 1" opening for inlet and hose connection and it is starving your pump when you try to attach. This is what happened to my pump when I upgraded to the sand filter style system. The culprit for the inlet air was from the anti-suction entrapment valve located on the newer twist style intex plunger valves. The skimmer screw on attachment wont trigger the valve, but due to the smaller opening on the vacuum attachment and the stronger suction it would trigger the valve and air would enter the prefilter pump basket.

If your not using the twist style plunger valve with the aint-suction entrapment valve you have a inlet leak somewhere else. or the 1" inlet on the screw on attachment is too restrictive in which case you still need to drill holes.
    15'x4' Metal Frame Intex 3yo (2nd year winterized) 16" 2650gph intex sand filter, Thru wall skimmer, dual inlet/single outlet, 1000gph intex pump (heater) Solar Cover TF-100 testkit, TFPC

16. Back To Top    #16

Yes I'm using those in the picture exactly and I have the skimmer with screw on hose attachment as well. Where exactly and how many holes do I drill? What size holes? Do I drill them into the blue screw on adaptor? Sorry this is a bit confusing for me (Not brainy Smurf obviously ) In the mean time I purchaced a Catfish battery operated vacuum and it actually works pretty well. I would like, however to be able to use the bigger vacuum when needed.

Thanks
    Billie

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by mrmacdad12
    Do you use the screw on attachment at the inlet for your vacuum? on attachment for the skimmer (larger) and a different attachment for the vacuum hose (smaller).... with twist style intex plunger valves.

If you are using this style of attachments you need to drill relief holes into the screw on attachment for the vacuum hose. The attachment has a 1" opening for inlet and hose connection and it is starving your pump when you try to attach. This is what happened to my pump when I upgraded to the sand filter style system. The culprit for the inlet air was from the anti-suction entrapment valve located on the newer twist style intex plunger valves. The skimmer screw on attachment wont trigger the valve, but due to the smaller opening on the vacuum attachment and the stronger suction it would trigger the valve and air would enter the prefilter pump basket.

If your not using the twist style plunger valve with the aint-suction entrapment valve you have a inlet leak somewhere else. or the 1" inlet on the screw on attachment is too restrictive in which case you still need to drill holes.
    Finally! An explanation for why I have a similar problem! I at least have the through-the-wall skimmer, which I can leave partially open, to help keep the pump fed, but I still get air in the pump's skimmer chamber. Short of eliminating the Intex valves, is there a way to disable the anti-entrapment thingy? I'm with Smurfette in needing answers about modifying the screw-on attachment.
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

18. Back To Top    #18

Somewhere in the pool box or pump box is a little plastic bag with 2 rubber pieces that go over the top of the anti suction valve to stop them from triggering when vacuuming.

I just put a piece of duct tape over the valve well vacuuming since i lost my plugs.
    Intex Ultra frame 16x48
    Intex 1600GPH Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2005 test kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by poolnew-b
    Somewhere in the pool box or pump box is a little plastic bag with 2 rubber pieces that go over the top of the anti suction valve to stop them from triggering when vacuuming.

I just put a piece of duct tape over the valve well vacuuming since i lost my plugs.
    So that's what those were for! Now I just have to find them
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

20. Back To Top    #20

I'm thinking....hmmmmmm wonder what I did with those 2 rubber thingies? Hopefully in the box in the utility shed.... I'm still confused however. Where is the anti suction valve? I'm a Texan so I'm familliar with "fixn" stuff with my trusty "DUCK" tape as we call it here in da Souff... but where are you putting the tape? I was still deciding what to drill and how many holes.....

Thank the Lawd I purchased a Catfish battery operated vacuum to keep me busy while I'm trying to fix the other vacuum issue. Is it Margarita time yet?

Please forgive my blondness...
    Billie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast