Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Nightmare

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Nightmare

Trouble Free Pool has been a great resource since I opened the pool this year (first house with a pool). Despite having some pump and heater issues, my family has been enjoying swimming on a daily basis. I've been "obsessed" (as my wife puts it) with the chemistry on the pool and been visiting the local pool store for water test every few days. I went to bed last night after adding a bit of pH down and started to read about phosphates on my iPhone. In my dream, I woke up to find my pool entirely filled with algae and jelly fish like organisms. I started to net the things out and discovered that an old, dirty solar cover had fallen and sunken deep into the pool. I pulled the solar cover out but inadvertently opened a big underwater cave - which effectively drained the entire pools water. I stood there watching the water swirl down this big black hole, and all I could think about was how much $ it would cost to fill it up.

I woke up laughing, but still had to go straight to the window to check on the pool.

Anyways, thought I'd share this "pool nightmare" with you. I'm sure I'll have some real pool nightmares in the future.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sault Ontario

Re: Pool Nightmare the nightmare part is that TFP has been a great resource to you but you still go to the pool store for water tests every few days, right?
    Then you had that wierd dream after.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Pool Nightmare

Welcome to TFP!

Thanks for sharing your nightmare dream. May that be the only place you see algae or experience any pool problems. Perhaps you need to relax in the pool more so that you dream instead of floating in pristine waters in some far away place until...

16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW Louisiana

Maybe the dream was trying to tell you to invest in your own quality test kit, and pool store testing is not to be trusted
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tucson, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    Maybe the dream was trying to tell you to invest in your own quality test kit, and pool store testing is not to be trusted
    That is what I took away from it
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Lol... I concur. Get yourself a good test kit so you don't have anymore nightmares like that
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

7. Back To Top    #7
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

How can you be obsessed with chemistry and not have your own test kit and speedstir?

Oh.... I get it... the pool store merry-go-round where the levels go up and down and you go 'round and 'round and it never ends.

You know once you show zero phosphates, your nitrates will be too high.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Definitely agree on the test kit. I've got one on order. Speedstir? Need to look that one up now. thanks!