Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cya in a VERY sunny and HOT climate

1. Back To Top    #1

Mesa Arizona

Cya in a VERY sunny and HOT climate

I've been doing the BBB method for a while now with great success. I've only had an algae outbreak once in that time and it was my fault. I got busy and didn't test or add chlorine for 3 days and by the end of the 3rd day, I finally asked my brother to come over to sweep and add some chlorine but it was a few hours too late. That little mistake on my part cost me a lot of time and money to make it right again but I can now say that with the advice on this forum, my pool is the cleanest it's ever been. I absolutely sparkles.
    I do have one question though. I've been keeping my cya around 40 or so. I live in Mesa Arizona and my pool has no shade whatsoever. It gets full sun on it during the summer from about 5:30 am until around 7:00 pm and obviously it's very warm here. This weekend we are having a record breaking heat wave. It's supposed to be 118 or so.
    My question is, with all the sunshine, should I be keeping my CYA in the 70 ppm range?

Thanks in advance for your advice........
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Cya in a VERY sunny and HOT climate

I would go to 60 ppm and see how that works for you. It'll be a big improvement over 40 and still allows you to keep your chlorine residual down in a manageable range. (I know it sounds like we are splitting fine hairs) If you are losing a ton of chlorine after that, then perhaps 70 will work a bit better but I don't think I would go there until you give 60 a try.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School