EcoStar with In-Floor Cleaners

Jun 23, 2013
Ok,

I have read through multiple posts here that state that a variable speed pump would work with an in-floor system. However, my pool builder states that in order for the VSP to work with the in-floor cleaners, I would need to run it at full speed 8hr/day. I was under the impression that the in-floors would only need to run for 4 hours with the remainder of the time being run at a lower speed to turn over the water... What gives here? Am I missing something?

Another question I thought about while trying to better understand the situation is: If the VSP is running at a lower flowrate, how does the water get circulated if the heads don't pop? If I run the in-floors and the wall returns at the same time, the Caretaker system does not cycle the cleaning stations.

I have a Hayward 3025 Cartridge Filter, Pentair IC40, Caretaker 5 Port on a 24K gallon in-ground pool. I am in the process of replacing the Super II to the EcoStar 3400.

I don't know if it matters, but my energy cost is $0.123/kwh.

Thanks.

First thing is that at a little over 12¢ per kwh a variable speed pump is probably not your best investment. A 2 speed would be a better choice unless you have a water feature that you want to fine tune the flow to.

having said that, your PB is incorrect in giving you a set amount of time and the speed. The time and speed you have to run your pump is dependent on your individual system. 8 hours is a long time to run the infloor system unless you have a lot of stuff getting into your pool. I think you're closer to being correct with 4 hours, but you'll have to fine tune it once it runs a while.

To automatically switch between cleaning and circulation you need to actuate the valve that turns the wall returns on.

An actuator huh? That would make sense. I'll have to get one of those installed. What make/model do you suggest? Are the actuators mechanical or electrical? Would I need anything else to make the actuators work properly?

You're right. The 2 speed would be a better investment given my current configuration, however, at some point in the future I will be adding a water feature to the mix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.