Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: EcoStar with In-Floor Cleaners

1. Back To Top    #1

EcoStar with In-Floor Cleaners

I have read through multiple posts here that state that a variable speed pump would work with an in-floor system. However, my pool builder states that in order for the VSP to work with the in-floor cleaners, I would need to run it at full speed 8hr/day. I was under the impression that the in-floors would only need to run for 4 hours with the remainder of the time being run at a lower speed to turn over the water... What gives here? Am I missing something?

Another question I thought about while trying to better understand the situation is: If the VSP is running at a lower flowrate, how does the water get circulated if the heads don't pop? If I run the in-floors and the wall returns at the same time, the Caretaker system does not cycle the cleaning stations.

I have a Hayward 3025 Cartridge Filter, Pentair IC40, Caretaker 5 Port on a 24K gallon in-ground pool. I am in the process of replacing the Super II to the EcoStar 3400.

I don't know if it matters, but my energy cost is $0.123/kwh.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: EcoStar with In-Floor Cleaners

First thing is that at a little over 12¢ per kwh a variable speed pump is probably not your best investment. A 2 speed would be a better choice unless you have a water feature that you want to fine tune the flow to.

having said that, your PB is incorrect in giving you a set amount of time and the speed. The time and speed you have to run your pump is dependent on your individual system. 8 hours is a long time to run the infloor system unless you have a lot of stuff getting into your pool. I think you're closer to being correct with 4 hours, but you'll have to fine tune it once it runs a while.

To automatically switch between cleaning and circulation you need to actuate the valve that turns the wall returns on.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: EcoStar with In-Floor Cleaners

An actuator huh? That would make sense. I'll have to get one of those installed. What make/model do you suggest? Are the actuators mechanical or electrical? Would I need anything else to make the actuators work properly?

You're right. The 2 speed would be a better investment given my current configuration, however, at some point in the future I will be adding a water feature to the mix.