agp Help advice for next step

Jun 28, 2013
Decided to go with an 18x33x54.Needed to prep ground.On advice of cousin who already put up pool,I was told to cut @ fill.then put sand and compact.Good news is that I have been trolling boards and realized that was a bad idea.So the best advice was to cut down to lowest spot.I did that and lost the fill around the yard.I did manage to get a lazer level and mark the grade I wanted.however,in the process of cutting and removing dirt.marks were covered and dug up,ran over etc.after all was said and done,I had to give tractor back and came as close to grade as possible.The grade isn't perfect.it has minor high/low spots and is a bit bumpy.because of how much dirt was taken out of the cut,the ground is very hard.I now need to know what to do next.since original plan was changed.I will do whatever it takes to obtain the BEST foundation.I definitely have to bring in material to make finish grade.my local Home Depot is where I get most of my materials but also have a RCP close by.heres what the yard looks like now...
IMG_0711-Copy_zpsd24d4c3b.jpg
[/url]g]

Just so I'm understanding, the plan was to level solely with a tractor?
Not sure that's gonna be sufficient for a final level, unless the operator was an amazingly smooth hand.
Regardless, if you had the lazer you should have some idea of final grade, no? You need to establish with certainty what the final grade is so I would personally spend the time to figure that out before moving ahead, if you determine that you need to shave some areas get a good shovel and have at it.
If you know for sure that the site is withing 1" of level then your good to proceed to the next steps.

The last thing you want to assume is that it's sufficiently level, put everything together, fill it, and then realise its way off.

Hope everything goes well!!

PS - Dittos to what Casey says, a 4' level strapped to a 2X6 is all I used for my site.

Casey, I see your aswering several posts today, don't you have several tons of dirt to move :wink:

Welcome to the forum. :lol:. Looks like you are off to a good start. I would get a transit or laser level and make sure each corner was within an inch of each other.....it really need to be level overall but can have a small bump or two in the middle.

I love to work with screenings instead of sand. It's all rock and rock dust and is very compactable unlike sand which really isn't a good substrate. You can even "build up" and inch or two with screenings and shouldn't do so with sand.

If you can get screenings or "fines" or something similar from a quarry, you can finish the leveling process with very little digging and then you are ready for the pool.

cramar said:
Casey, I see your aswering several posts today, don't you have several tons of dirt to move :wink:

I wish! This is the 4th day I've been rained out! I'm not up for a mud bath today cramer. :mrgreen: I'll just hang around here or go to work for 16 hrs in about a 1/2 hr! :-D

I definitely know I not there. The original plan was to use the sand to finalize grade. Now I know sand is a bad idea. I went to RCP and asked their advice. I told them what I wanted to do and this is what he told me.To put in a class2 road base.6 inches worth , water and compact. Then I could come in with an inch or 2 of sand, for final grade. According to my area it will cost $695 for material delivered to my house. That don't sound right. Why do I need so much material? To hold up all that weight? the ground right now is super hard, even with a pick it is resistant. My plan right now is to get the lazer again. Set a grade, according to how much I should fill, to get a finish grade. Water and compact that and then I want to put foam. The material I need ,will have to be the firm foundation. Is 6 inches necessary? The guy at RCP says that's how many inches I need to accommodate weight of pool. The existing hard ground can hold the weight but its uneven. I need something in between to make level and hard enough not to create a problem.

I'm using the same base under a differant name (2Amodified).

I have spoken to a few people and their answers coinside with each other. You need to form your base 2 ft past the wall of your pool on all sides. This needs done because the edges of this will become slurried and soft if and when it rains heavily. To combat this from happening, it was suggested to me to take the excess dirt from the grading and put it around the edges of the 2A slope and plant grass to keep it from eroding and slurrying away.

Does this make sense to you?

Everything is overcut . 18x33. Has been cut 23x39.where I'm at now will be determined with lazer. I was wondering how many inches thick(fill).if I'm within 2-3 inches of being perfectly level, I want to add the material by hand to get it perfect. I will set a final grade with lazer.will this be acceptable. Will this material compact and not sink?

It will compact and not sink as long as you wet it down and run a plate compactor over it. :goodjob:

The general rule for using this is to bring it in in 3"-6" lifts and compact it.

You've got a decent sized pool. A 6" base isn't that much.

I'm going to be going through this very soon so please don't think I'm spending your money for you with all that crush. I'll be using a boatload more than you! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
alright, here's what I'm trying to say. can I use just the right amount of material to make everything level. Compact that in ,and if everything is perfectly level , go from there? I want to then proceed to put down the pink foam boards , taped together a gorilla pad , foam wall cove, wall foam and then the liner and be able to sleep at night.

He's using road base Jeff. He doesn't want to use a lot but just fill in the low spots to level. The guy he spoke to said to lay down a 6" base under the whole pool. (I think I got it right) :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.