Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help I'm a Newb!!! hehe

1. Back To Top    #1

Help I'm a Newb!!! hehe

All,

Iím on day 4 of fighting algae and day 4 of BBB!!! I ordered a K-2006 on Tuesday and expect it tomorrow. Iíd give you numbers but they are what Leslieís gave me 4 days ago when I got committed to BBB. My Calcium Hardness is kinda lo like 50 but who cares.. Iíve got a vinyl pool. I'm not gonna be pool "stored"!!!!

Iíve shocked my pool up to 16FC twice with no way to test for FC. I assumed it(FC) was still zero as Leslie had told me.
    My PH was Ultra High so I used the calculator and added muriatic acid and it is just below normal, which Iíve read is great for fighting algae.

I scrub my walls and floors daily and my pump and filter have been going 24/7 with my crappy OTO test I can see that the FC is way above the resolution of that crappy tester!!!

What am I missing.
    A.> Patience
    B.> My mind
    C.> Aptitude to jump my fence an cut down my neighborís sweet gum that hangs over the pool?
    D.> Shouldnít have bought a house with a pool
    26k IG Vinyl, 2 HP single speed,24" Tagelus Sand, 1.5" pipe, 1 Main, 1 Skimmer, 2 jets, pool built 1983, new vinyl 2014, 36'x18', Deep End 8', The PoolCleaner 4X Suction.
    Pool Math #__# Pool School #__# Best Android App "Pool Pal" Track Your Levels!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help I'm a Newb!!! hehe

Quote Originally Posted by xokeman
    My PH was Ultra High so I used the calculator and added muriatic acid and it is just below normal, which Iíve read is great for fighting algae.
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So is taking pH readings when chlorine is at shock level. accurate-ph-test-during-shock-levels-with-r-007-t61076.html

Did you take the readings and make the adjustment before or after you dumped in the chlorine?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I took the PH reading after shocking. forgot about that from pool school. I added 102 oz of muratic at the most popular concentration

Also it should be noted that I've added no algecide.
    26k IG Vinyl, 2 HP single speed,24" Tagelus Sand, 1.5" pipe, 1 Main, 1 Skimmer, 2 jets, pool built 1983, new vinyl 2014, 36'x18', Deep End 8', The PoolCleaner 4X Suction.

4. Back To Top    #4

PH was fine before I added the bleach. but I later learned that my puck despencer was still running at 6 pucks full at HIGH so I figured that was the cause for PH increase. .. like I said I'm a newb

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yours is an incredibly common issue for which there is no easy answer.

When you first find our group and begin to read, you realize that the pool store hasn't been helping you so you are ready to make the switch to what we teach.

The problem is everyone is terribly anxious to start correcting past misconceptions and get their pool cleared up right now....I certainly understand that.

Without the results from a test kit we trust, we just don't know exactly the condition of your water so it is difficult to give meaningful advice.

I suggest you simply go into "hold" by placing a gallon of Clorox in the pool each evening until your good kit gets in and you can then post up some valid numbers. Things will move very quickly from there.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

sounds great. I'm adding one per day

7. Back To Top    #7

CH - 50 ( who cares, I'm vinyl)
    CYA - 30
    TA - 20
    FC - 9.4
    CC - .6
    PH - too low so Base Demand test said - 6

my Algae is clearing up at this point.

Any suggestions?

8. Back To Top    #8

Are those numbers from one of the recommended test kits ?

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Now we know the condition of your water!!

Raise your FC back up to around 12-14 before you got to bed, if you can.

Your pH is w-a-a-ay too low so tomorrow am, your FC should be 10 ppm or lower which will give you an accurate pH test. Raise the pH up to 7.4 or so using 20 Mule Team Borax. Your TA will come up with it.

After that keep replenishing your chlorine to around the 12 ppm mark until your pool is crystal clear....shouldn't be long. Keep your pump running 24/7, brush and clean your filter as often as you can.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

+ 1 what duraliegh said.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

added enough chlorine to get it to 12 yesterday.

Checked moments ago after brushing the pool FC still at 9.5
    PH tooo low K-2006 Base Demand test says 3 this time!

When brushing I've still found some green stuff being brushed away.

Ideas??? I guess having the pool ready for the 4th is probably not going to happen!

12. Back To Top    #12

Test and dose more often.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

13. Back To Top    #13

Have you shut off three puck feeder? Trichlor pucks lower pH.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

the puck feeder is off and empty!!! no more trichlor!!!

How many days do I need to keep the levels above 12???

15. Back To Top    #15

PH still below being able to read. since I've gotten no responses I've decided to let the FC down to a swimmable level.
    I am going to calculate the amount of Borax to add from my K-2006 book and test from the Base demand test.

Xoke

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by xokeman
    the puck feeder is off and empty!!! no more trichlor!!!

How many days do I need to keep the levels above 12???
    No set duration. Keep shocking until the water is clear of all signs of algae, the CC LEVELS ARE 0.5 or less, and over night losses of FC are no more than 1 ppm.

See also pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Remember it is perfectly safe to swim at or just below shock levels.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

17. Back To Top    #17

just FYI to any one who has subscribed to this thread:

The water has cleared up. I estimate that I kept the pool at an FC of 12 for about 7 days. after-which I vacuumed to waste.

during those 7 days I brushed the entire pool at least once a day, the pump ran 24/7 and no one swam in the pool

tomorrow is Independence day and the pool is swim ready.

I have added baking soda to boost my TA, after which i will drop some muriatic Acid to bring that PH back down!

The pool is looking quite clear. although I can't see the deep end yet.. it is, afterall 10' deep.

18. Back To Top    #18

My daughter raising the TA!!!