Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This pool Chemical stuff is confusing

1. Back To Top    #1

This pool Chemical stuff is confusing

Hello all,
    I might be dumb or not comprehending the chemical aspects of maintaining a pool. I have read the pool school and several other pages, but I just don't understand. I have a cloudy, green pool. I have the TF100 test and tested the water.
    My results are:
    CYA - 60
    FC - 8
    CC - 0
    TC - 8
    T/A - 150
    PH - 8.4
    From what I read, I "Think" my readings are ok. But why do I have a green pool?
    Thanks,
    16344 gal, AG, Fijian 52 Pool 27' round w/ 1.5 HP 21 Sta-Rite Above Ground Pool Sand Filter System. using ZeoBest ZeoLite Filter Media.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: This pool Chemical stuff is confusing

Recommended levels are based on a clean pool and should be used for maintenance. If your pool is green, you have to shock it first.

Your pH is way too high. Get it to 7.8 pronto.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

How long between adding chlorine and testing? If you have algae your CC should not read zero.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool was green with alge yesterday, day before yesterday we had a very hard rain. I tested yesterday and added 2 gallons of bleach to the pool.
    I woke up this morning, vacuumed the pool and tested again. I posted the results in my first post.
    16344 gal, AG, Fijian 52 Pool 27' round w/ 1.5 HP 21 Sta-Rite Above Ground Pool Sand Filter System. using ZeoBest ZeoLite Filter Media.

5. Back To Top    #5

You need to complete the shock process to clear your pool. Please read the shock process and defeating algae for more information.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree with you zea, but something isn't right. If he has algae, then his CC should NOT have been 0 this morning. And I doubt they were. There is something wrong with the test results.
    Bestway SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

The test Kit Chlorine Drop Test states.
    "5. To test for Combined Chloramines(CC), add 5 drops of R0003 to the solution and swirl. If it remains clear, you have no CC's. It it returns back to pink... blah, blah blah. "
    I added the 5 drops of R0003 and it remained clear. So I recorded as no CC.

8. Back To Top    #8

With PH that high, I am wondering if metal oxidization is possibly causing the color. Just a wild guess, but that would only be if there a) wasn't prior algae and b) chlorine never dropped below recommended level.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

9. Back To Top    #9

Icifers, you tested this morning and FC is 8. Can you test again and tell us the FC?
    Bestway SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

From the time that zea3 told me to shock the pool. I put in 2lbs of Blue Wave Chlor-Burst Fast-Dissolve shock. Because that is all I have at the time, I am waiting for my wife to come home from the store with bleach. I just took my readings and I have:
    FC - 13 - (26 Drops)
    CC - .5 - (1 drop).
    From what I read from the "http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool" I need to get my Shock level up to 24.

11. Back To Top    #11

Test again after 2 or 3 hours (let us know how long), and post again. I'm beginning to wonder if you really have algae
    Bestway SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

It's green, I can take a picture and post it.. if need be...

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Pictures ALWAYS help. The important thing to note here is you are in a "process" not an occasional or intermittent dose of chlorine.

Shock value FC must be maintained over a period of days and you must follow "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School.

Everyone is easily confused on this point. You must do all the things suggested over a period of days and your pool will turn crystal clear. That often takes patience and faith but hang in there....this will work.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

15. Back To Top    #15

The only thing that changed since the hard rain we got and the pool turning green, I had ordered and recieved a "Pool Rover", to automatically clean the pool. Would that have cause the pool to turn green?

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Would that have cause the pool to turn green?
    No. There is no cnnection.

Thanks for the pics. What is that greenish discoloration in the center of your pool underneath the net? Does it brush up when your brush it or vacuum it?
    Dave S.

17. Back To Top    #17

I couldn't reach that part with the pole, the whole pool bottom was covered with it this morning, it vacuumes up, but I need to get a longer pool extention to reach that part. Headed to the pool supply shop now to pick one up.

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

It's fine if you get in your pool when it below shock value by even just a little bit. Brushing and vacuuming is a VERY important part of the process and needs to be done anytime you observe stuff on the floor.
    Dave S.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by GreatCanadian
    I agree with you zea, but something isn't right. If he has algae, then his CC should NOT have been 0 this morning. And I doubt they were. There is something wrong with the test results.
    Just to clarify, algae clearing does not necessarily throw off CCs. ChemGeek, please jump in if I'm wrong, but the major source of CCs (aka monochloramine, dichloramine, and nitrogen trichloride) is the oxidation of nitrogen based compounds like urea, ammonia, sweat, etc.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

20. Back To Top    #20

Smykowski, you are correct. It is extremely common to have algae and have CC be zero.

Metals are more likely to be the issue when the water is a clear transparent green. Algae is more likely when the pool is cloudy/murky. The photo looks more on the clear transparent side, but with a touch of cloudiness, so not definitive.

An overnight FC loss test will clear things up. If you are losing chlorine overnight then it is algae. Otherwise it is probably metals in the water
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast