Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Guy with Cloudy water help

1. Back To Top    #1

New Guy with Cloudy water help

Hi everyone,

I have had a pool for many years and have always had pretty good luck maintaining it!!Until this year I can't get rid of my cloudy water here are the readings I have come up with using my Taylor K-2006 kit (first time using).
    PH-7.6
    Alk- 120
    Calcium-50
    CYA-50
    FC-1.6
    CC-.6

Pool is 27' 18,400 gallons above ground.

Anyone have any ideas why the water is cloudy?? Numbers look ok to me
    19,700 gallons non SWG
    Pentair DE quad 100 filter
    Auto chlorinator and nature 2
    Inground pebble
    Intelliflo variable speed 3 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Guy with Cloudy water help

Hi, welcome to TFP! First, your chlorine is too low for your CYA level. According to the Pool calculator you should keep the FC between 4-8ppm. We recommend that you stay at the top of the range to ensure the FC does not drop below 4ppm on heavy use days.

You should go ahead and complete the the shock process with your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

OK thanks, that's what i saw after reading some around here on the site I saw the table that showed what you are saying.
    I have 3 bags of hypo shock 53% and lots of bleach can I mix them, I know not together but shock with the bags wait awhile then add bleach? Thanks for any info!!
    19,700 gallons non SWG
    Inground pebble

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes you can do what you have asked. You can use the calhypo for a while, but over time it will raise the CH too high. You are good now though. I will add that calhypo has a habit of clouding pools for a while, just be aware that it may happen.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi again,
    Ok I lowered ph to 7.2 Friday night, then shocked Saturday morning with 5 gallons of bleach, here in ohio they have 8.25% little over 7% FC, water looks much better this afternoon will let filter run overnight again, I think I am on the right track, my question is how do I maintain chlorine around 5 to 8 with bleach? I usually put triclor in the shimmer 3" pucks but my CYA is up to 50 and I don't want to raise it anymore. Thanks in advance for any help!
    19,700 gallons non SWG
    Inground pebble

6. Back To Top    #6

Reread the shock process. You need to raise FC to shock level, then test and redose often to HOLD shock level until the pool clears.

Take your test results and plug them into the pool calculator to figure out how much bleach to add at each dosing.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok thanks!
    19,700 gallons non SWG
    Inground pebble

8. Back To Top    #8

Is it safe to swim when chlorine is over 10??
    19,700 gallons non SWG
    Inground pebble

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by micmlm
    Is it safe to swim when chlorine is over 10??
    It is safe to swim all the way up to shock level for your CYA. In your case, 10 is well below that, so you can use the pool. It may slow down the shock process, as you'l be introducing sweat, skin cells, etc from people.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi everyone, just wanted to shout out a thanks, my water is crystal clear this morning, I have maintained shock level chlorine and ran pump 24/7 for 4 days. I know I wont get an accurate ph reading until the chlorine goes below 10, will other readings be accurate?
    19,700 gallons non SWG
    Inground pebble

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by micmlm
    Hi everyone, just wanted to shout out a thanks, my water is crystal clear this morning, I have maintained shock level chlorine and ran pump 24/7 for 4 days. I know I wont get an accurate ph reading until the chlorine goes below 10, will other readings be accurate?
    Yes. Be aware that the TA test may shift from green>pink to blue>yellow. Don't freak.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

OK thanks, I will post numbers tonight, I assume it is OK to let chlorine drift back down? What kind of TA levels should I shoot for? Last I checked it was 120. Also I think I read somewhere on the taylor K2006 kit when I put the powder in to check chlorine do I have to put in 2 scoops or is 1 OK if water turns red? Thanks again for all you help!! I am done with pools stores!!!
    19,700 gallons non SWG
    Inground pebble

13. Back To Top    #13

Sounds to me like you need to add liquid chlorine/bleach, each night to aim for 8 ppm (according to the above comment) but adjust this higher (9-10PPM) if you find you are lower than 4 PPM the next night (test). This is assuming you are testing each night like I do.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

TA of 120 is close enough for now. Worry about watching your FC level like a hawk, and over the next few weeks learn how your pool/pH behaves. That will tell you if you have to mess with TA at all.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

15. Back To Top    #15

As to your scoop question, if I get a good solid pink with one scoop, I know I am fine.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!! Water is still clear here are my numbers after letting the pool sit overnight with out pump running.

FC 11
    PH 7.6
    ALK 140
    CALC 110
    CYA 45-50

Numbers look good to me I know my chlorine was a little high to check PH but I was curious, think its a good number? Or recheck once chlorine drops to 10? Otherwise keep chlorine around 6 to 8 and I should be good?
    19,700 gallons non SWG
    Inground pebble