Replace some DE after draining a little?

heweydewey

LifeTime Supporter
May 20, 2013
Erie, PA
Hi,

I have a Hayward EC65, no multiport, just a backwash/drain valve on the bottom of the filter. We just got a good amount of rain the past 2 days and I want to drain my pool a little, only about an inch or so.

Do I lose a little DE every time I drain or vacuum to waste? And if so, should I be replacing DE every time I do that? Never done it in the past and I'm wondering if it's something I should be doing.

Also, one more question regarding backwashing. I've always followed the instructions on the filter to:

1. turn off and Bump.
2. Open backwash valve to drain tank completely
3. Turn on and run pump out to drain for 30 secs

From reading instructions here though, I could skip the tank draining step and just run the pump?

Thanks!

If you only have the plunger type backwash valve ... you should NEVER be vacuuming in backwash mode ... that will end up with the dirt you vacuum up on the inside of the DE grids which will then be blown back into the pool when you go back to normal filter mode. You should only vacuum in filter mode.

Yes you need to add DE back after every time you run in backwash mode. You do not have a WASTE mode with just a plunger backwash valve.

Do you have a spigot a between the pump and the filter? IF so, you could open that to drain a little water.

You could also install a new 3-way between the pump and the filter and use it as a waste mode. That would allow you to vacuum directly out of the pool and drain water.

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE to your signature as it will help us help you.

Oh. With the Perflex, you do not have a backwash valve. That is just a drain ... so technically you could open that and run the filter and vacuum to "waste". But every time you open that you are losing at least some of the DE.

I do not know much about these bump filters, but it would back sense to follow the process you described. Actually, I would think you would want to bump and drain the filter and bump some more to try to shake off the DE so that it would get washed out when you turn the pump on ... but again, I have no experience.

Added some details in my signature (well as much as I know without looking anything up)!

Do you think I should be adding a little DE back in every time I drain then and if so, how much? I guess I could just recharge the DE, but I was hoping to avoid doing that every time it rains alot!

Thanks for your advice!

Impossible to say how much DE you are losing when you do that. You should be disassembling the filter and cleaning everything once a year and then you know how much DE to add back in ... at least that time.

Like I said you could pretty easily add a valve between the pump and filter which would allow you to drain water or vacuum to waste without losing DE.

Post up a picture of your equipment pad.

Just took apart an cleaned the filter last week. So right now there's 6lbs of de in there.

Attached are pictures of my setup. Not using the chlorinator, just have it attached because I haven't had a chance to plug the holes!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 31
Hmm ... not a lot of pipe to work with there between the pump and filter. You could replace the sweep with a Tee and put a hose bib on the top, or replace it with a 3-way. But, I am not sure you have enough room to fit whatever adapters are needed for your pump and filter.

That's alright, I would be a bit nervous to mess with pipes before the filter.

I just drained the pool for a few minutes and then closed it back up. Pressure is the same as before I drained. Is it safe to assume I didn't lose that much de then?

I have no idea. Did the water look white/brown?

If you do not want to replumb, and are having to drain often. I would suggest picking up a cheap submersible pump from Harbor Freight and use it when you need to drain water to avoid the DE complication.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a hose bib coming off the side of my return line before it goes underground. It works nice for watering the lawn/ lowering water level. True, it's been filtered, but who cares?

You've got some nice long runs of pipe coming off that filter, it would only be a couple minutes work to splice in a Tee.

Can't tell, it's all piped in where the water drains.

Don't have to drain to often. Just this summer, when its rained its rained big time!

Thank you for the suggestions. I will still look into replumbing if its possible in that amount of space. I might be nervous to do it, but it doesn't mean I won't!

Thanks again!

EDIT: just realized you had not seen the later posts.

A hose bib is what you hook a garden hose to on your house.

In the 2nd picture, the long pipe on the ground at the top ... does that go back to the pool? Anywhere along there you could cut the PVC, put a Tee back in, a reducer in the middle port down to a threaded 3/4", and then screw a regular brass hose bib in.

Then just hook a hose to it and open it up to lower the water level ... and with the garden hose you can use the water on your plants / grass.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.