Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wood privacy fence latches/locks

1. Back To Top    #1

Wood privacy fence latches/locks

Hello - we are going to replace a 6 foot chain link fence with an 8 foot cedar privacy fence. I would like to replace our current locking "system" - i.e., a bike's combination chain lock - with a more professional, worry-free locking mechanism.

I want to be able to open the gate from either side, and have a combination/PIN code lock on the outside for the yard guy, etc. Self closing is also on the wish list. Anyone know of magical hardware/combination of hardware that can accomplish all this on a heavy wooden fence gate? Once I worked in a building that had a push button keypad door handle for all the employees to use the same PIN, something like that is in my mind.

combination lock/coded access (does not need a key)
    self closing
    can be opened from inside or out

Thanks!
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wood privacy fence latches/locks

Could you put a standard entrance set on it? They make those with keypads and a sefl closer should be easy to find.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

try them buy my fence stuff there http://www.tsdistributors.com/

4. Back To Top    #4

Dave, do you mean something that's normally used on doors and not fences? (not sure exactly what a standard entrance set means). I will have to investigate to see if they can be used outdoors, and we might have a problem with the latching mechanism - I don't think there will be a door jamb for the latch to click into since we will have metal 10' posts instead of wooden posts.

Vinper, thanks for the link. I did find something similar to my old office's entry door - it was this. http://www.tsdistributors.com/iron/l100 ... andle.html Again, not sure if I could rig it to work on a fence though, will have to investigate.

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep 'em coming!
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, a standard entry door set. Some dwellings don't have stoops or porches so they are usually designed to be out in the weather.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

MiaOKC,
    How about something like this:
    http://www.gokeyless.com/keyless-gate-locks.php?

I had never thought about these, but I like the idea. One more item for the project list.

Mike
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks so much for the link to that site, Mike W! I liked the ones you linked to, and searched around and found these:
    http://www.gokeyless.com/product/660/1/ ... ock-marine

I like the idea that they are marine grade and suited for outdoor use. One advantage to the marine lock I linked is that (combined with an auto-closer on the gate) it will latch and lock automatically. I worry that the yard guy or some worker would neglect to secure the slide bolt on the gate lock you linked. I recall coming home from work one night to find the gate standing wide open after the plumber had come by that morning and used the gate to access the back yard. I nearly had a heart attack, as our next door neighbor's toddler was walking by that time and it just takes a minute of inattention. Even my DH has been guilty of leaving the gate open when he's doing yard work and making repeated trips in and out, then gets distracted by something and forgets to go back to close the gate.

I might have to do some rigging/construction to make a "jamb" for the latch to have a place to catch, but so far this is looking very possible. Thanks again!