Cloudy Pool

Jun 28, 2013
Hello,
I was recently gone for a long weekend and we left the pool filter and pump running while i was out.
The night we left there was a big storm and a ton of leaves were caught in the skimmer.
Hayward s200 was running at 30 PSI and just not really pumping water through when we got back and checked it.
Pool was very cloudy cause there was basically no filtration.
After backwashing quite a few times i got the filter and pump running at around 12-14 PSI but after 4 days of running the pump 24 hours a day, the water is still cloudy.
The pool is balanced and the only thing i have tried so far has been 3 packs of Burnout.
I was supposed to have a pool party tomorrow and wondering if there is anything i can do to make it clear again.
I have a 25k gallon in ground pool with a Hayward S200 pool filter.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FC- .0
TC- .5
PH- 6.8
CYA- 30
TA- 110

Now these are the results i had when the water was tested 2 days ago.
Since then i threw in the the Burnout and a PH leveler according to the instructions, but i havent had time to test it since.
It should have raised the PH and the TC and FC but im still not seeing a difference in the clarity over 2 days of running 24 hours a day.
I was wondering if it may be the sand in the filter and if there is cleaner i can put in the skimmer to clear that up or if there is a shock specifically for clarity.

I put a few extra pucks in and i used PoolTonic for killing the phosphates that were attaching to the chlorine.
Is there anything i can do to speed up the process though or is it just a matter of waiting?

Shocking the pool is a process and not a one or two time application of product. You need to raise the pool to shock level and keep it there by frequently testing the FC and raising it back to shock level as often as possible until the shock process is complete. You will know the process is complete when you loose 1ppm or less of FC overnight from dusk to dawn, CC is .5 or less, and the pool is clear.

Please read the shock process and defeating algae for more information.

You can use the Pool calculator to plug in your current test results and determine the shock level for your pool.

Don't worry about phosphate removers or clarifiers. They don't kill algae and they don't prevent algae from growing in your pool.

Pool School and BLEACH are your friend. :cool:

Where did you get your test results? If you don't have a reliable test kit, you should look into purchasing a TF-100 or a K-2006.

I do need to get a test kit.
But the pool store is a few blocks away so when i need to, i just bring in a sample and they give me the full results.
Pool is clearing up now. It just needed some time to begin to clear up.

Problem is, most pool stores are extremely unreliable. If you want to test, take in a sample, then a while later have your significant other take in the same sample and see if the test results vary.

Shocking can take weeks, so just be patient. :)

All those phosphate removers and such from the pool store are just eating away at your savings.

How is the pool store testing you water? Computer? Strips? drop reagent testing?

You will find the vast majority of people here are mainly using a high quality reagent test kit and bleach to keep their pool clean, once they get the other levels fixed, No bags of anything, no shock/burnout/algaecide/pucks.

Sand filters can take longer to clear fine debris. Adding DE can help but requires more attention.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.