Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy Pool

Hello,
    I was recently gone for a long weekend and we left the pool filter and pump running while i was out.
    The night we left there was a big storm and a ton of leaves were caught in the skimmer.
    Hayward s200 was running at 30 PSI and just not really pumping water through when we got back and checked it.
    Pool was very cloudy cause there was basically no filtration.
    After backwashing quite a few times i got the filter and pump running at around 12-14 PSI but after 4 days of running the pump 24 hours a day, the water is still cloudy.
    The pool is balanced and the only thing i have tried so far has been 3 packs of Burnout.
    I was supposed to have a pool party tomorrow and wondering if there is anything i can do to make it clear again.
    I have a 25k gallon in ground pool with a Hayward S200 pool filter.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    25,000 gallon rectangle in ground. 8' deep end.
    Hayward S-200 200# sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy Pool

Welcome to the forum!

Can you post a full set of test results? Cloudy can mean a lot of things, but we can't even start to guess until we know where we are on the map.

Also, please put all of your equipment info in your signature. It will help us during the troubleshooting.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

FC- .0
    TC- .5
    PH- 6.8
    CYA- 30
    TA- 110

Now these are the results i had when the water was tested 2 days ago.
    Since then i threw in the the Burnout and a PH leveler according to the instructions, but i havent had time to test it since.
    It should have raised the PH and the TC and FC but im still not seeing a difference in the clarity over 2 days of running 24 hours a day.
    I was wondering if it may be the sand in the filter and if there is cleaner i can put in the skimmer to clear that up or if there is a shock specifically for clarity.

4. Back To Top    #4

You need more chlorine. FC is consumable: it is burned up by the sun or consumed in the process of killing organics. It needs to be replenished, and even more often during the shock process.

Read as much as you can in the "Defeating Algae" threads and get studying in Pool School.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

I put a few extra pucks in and i used PoolTonic for killing the phosphates that were attaching to the chlorine.
    Is there anything i can do to speed up the process though or is it just a matter of waiting?

6. Back To Top    #6

Shocking the pool is a process and not a one or two time application of product. You need to raise the pool to shock level and keep it there by frequently testing the FC and raising it back to shock level as often as possible until the shock process is complete. You will know the process is complete when you loose 1ppm or less of FC overnight from dusk to dawn, CC is .5 or less, and the pool is clear.

Please read the shock process and defeating algae for more information.

You can use the Pool calculator to plug in your current test results and determine the shock level for your pool.

Don't worry about phosphate removers or clarifiers. They don't kill algae and they don't prevent algae from growing in your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Pool School and BLEACH are your friend.

Where did you get your test results? If you don't have a reliable test kit, you should look into purchasing a TF-100 or a K-2006.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

I do need to get a test kit.
    But the pool store is a few blocks away so when i need to, i just bring in a sample and they give me the full results.
    Pool is clearing up now. It just needed some time to begin to clear up.

9. Back To Top    #9

Problem is, most pool stores are extremely unreliable. If you want to test, take in a sample, then a while later have your significant other take in the same sample and see if the test results vary.

Shocking can take weeks, so just be patient.

All those phosphate removers and such from the pool store are just eating away at your savings.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

How is the pool store testing you water? Computer? Strips? drop reagent testing?

You will find the vast majority of people here are mainly using a high quality reagent test kit and bleach to keep their pool clean, once they get the other levels fixed, No bags of anything, no shock/burnout/algaecide/pucks.

Sand filters can take longer to clear fine debris. Adding DE can help but requires more attention.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100