Just filling in - Help with next steps please (added results

G

Our pool started filling in last night. Its our first pool and I have done some reading.

The PB added 10 bags of salt this morning, cut out all the lights, returns, skimmer etc.

What are my next steps?

I know that the PB will probably teach me how it all works, but once he's gone, I want to use the TFP method to run the pool and keep it sparkling.

I need to order a test kit as well from here. How long will a kit last me? Is it better to self test or take to pool store? Do the pool stores test for free?

Re: Just filling in - Help with next steps please

Do you have a good test kit?

If so go ahead and test your fill water for everything except CYA. That way you'll know if you need to adjust the pH or TA first.
Since you are going to have a swg, you'll need a good bit of CYA. Make sure the PB didn't add any or if they did find out how much. You'll also want to know how many tablets they have added if they've added any.

Bama Rambler said:
Do you have a good test kit?

If so go ahead and test your fill water for everything except CYA. That way you'll know if you need to adjust the pH or TA first.
Since you are going to have a swg, you'll need a good bit of CYA. Make sure the PB didn't add any or if they did find out how much. You'll also want to know how many tablets they have added if they've added any.

Thanks. I don't have any test kit. Will take tap water sample to PB store and get readings.

They have only added salt as far as I know.

What test kit should I get here in Canada?

I took my water to the Pool Store today for testing.

We had put in 10 bags of salt on Friday morning and started the pumps.

Pool store told me that the SWG should be set to auto. Checked and it wasn't so just did that.

Here are the reading the Pool Store gave me. What do do now?

Temp: 89F
Salt: 3000 ppm
FCL: 0
TCL: 0
CCL: O
PH: 7.6
APH: 7.6
TA: 80 ppm
ATA: 80 ppm
Stab: 0
CA: 100

They asked me to add:

2.2kg of Alkalinity Plus
3 pouches of salt shock
13kg of Calcium plus
31.6kg of salt
6.7 kg of salt one
1.3kg of stabilizer

I didn't buy anything from them and have done nothing. I figured since we just opened the new pool, the SWG may have been at the wrong setting and need the salt to dissolve and the the SWG to work.

Questions:
What do you suggest I do?
Is stab the same the CYA?
Another issue - My water was a little low, so I ran a hose, but forgot about it (stupid newbie mistake). The water is now way over the skimmer and I think I should drain it. How do I drain it using the pump and filter? What is the procedure?

Re: Just filling in - Help with next steps please (added res

Have you ordered a test kit yet?

You need to get some FC in the pool now.

If your stabilizer (CYA) is really zero you need to add enough to get to about 30 ppm. You'll ultimately want it at about 70 ppm but since your FC has been zero you'll likely have to shock the pool and you don't want it any higher than about 30 to 40 ppm while doing that.

You're TA is fine where it is. Don't add anything to raise it.
Don't buy the "salt shock". Use bleach to shock the pool if it needs it.
If CA is CH (calcium Hardness) don't worry about it with a vinyl pool.
31.6kg of salt will raise your salt level about 500 ppm. What does your swg say is the ideal level? If it's 3500, then you need the amount they told you.
I have no idea what salt one is. We've discussed that before and never did find out what's in it.
1.3kg of stabilizer will raise your CYA by 20 ppm which isn't enough if it's zero now. Have you added anything that would have CYA in it?

Bama Rambler said:
Have you ordered a test kit yet?

You need to get some FC in the pool now.

If your stabilizer (CYA) is really zero you need to add enough to get to about 30 ppm. You'll ultimately want it at about 70 ppm but since your FC has been zero you'll likely have to shock the pool and you don't want it any higher than about 30 to 40 ppm while doing that.

You're TA is fine where it is. Don't add anything to raise it.
Don't buy the "salt shock". Use bleach to shock the pool if it needs it.
If CA is CH (calcium Hardness) don't worry about it with a vinyl pool.
31.6kg of salt will raise your salt level about 500 ppm. What does your swg say is the ideal level? If it's 3500, then you need the amount they told you.
I have no idea what salt one is. We've discussed that before and never did find out what's in it.
1.3kg of stabilizer will raise your CYA by 20 ppm which isn't enough if it's zero now. Have you added anything that would have CYA in it?

PB is coming tomorrow to take as look. The SWG is saying that the level is now 2500 and has a flashing red on check salt and a flashing yellow on inspect cell.

I have not added anything except the 10 bags of salt that the PB put in when he filled the pool. Shouldn't the PB add all the stuff to bring the pool to the perfect level for the first time?

Have also been losing about 2 inches of water every night so going to bring that up as well.

PB came.

SWG shows 2500 and needs another bag of salt. Said to wait and see what we will do about the leak before adding salt.

The pool water issue. PB turned off all the pumps, etc to try and try the leak. While looking around, we saw a small tear/rip in the shallow end of the pool. Looks like that may be the issue. He is going to get it patched. I am not sure how this works. Should it be patched or should we be getting a new liner since this one is only 4 days old and has a tear??

PB came today and the liner will be replaced as there is a tear. He has patched it while we wait for anew liner by the end of the week.

Will have to drain, replace liner, then fill, add salt and heat up again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.