Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA added two weeks ago, still not registering

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA added two weeks ago, still not registering

Split from this topic so that we're only responding to one persons issue. Bama

FC 0
    CC less than .5
    PH 7.5
    TA 90
    CYA 0

I have been reading this site for days, but cannot find why CYA is still zero after adding 32oz. of stabilizer over two weeks ago. I'm running out of reagent testing CYA. I've been adding chlorine to get to FC 3 every day, but it is zero every night. I started shocking tonight. Thank you!
    2004, 22.5K Gal., 36x18, IG, Vinyl, TF100 test kit, 1HP Waterways Pump, 20 GPM/FT Hayward Sand Filter, 200 BTU Hayward Gas Heater, Dolphin Supreme M4 Robot, Powered Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA added a week ago, still not registering

I believe that I should apologize for this post. Can someone tell me if what I did is what is meant by "hijacking" a post? I'm sorry.
    2004, 22.5K Gal., 36x18, IG, Vinyl, TF100 test kit, 1HP Waterways Pump, 20 GPM/FT Hayward Sand Filter, 200 BTU Hayward Gas Heater, Dolphin Supreme M4 Robot, Powered Cover

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: CYA added a week ago, still not registering

Hijacking a thread is posting your similar problem in an established thread. This makes it difficult for anyone to help either person, and keep things straight.

You really should start your own thread in the appropriate section.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: CYA added two weeks ago, still not registering

Pop -- 32 oz of stabilizer should have added 11 ppm to your CYA. Since most CYA tests only go down to 20 or 30 and If your starting CYA was really zero then you're still below what the test can see, so it will still look like you have zero CYA when in fact you have about 11 ppm. I'd add another 3 lbs and see where that gets you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for splitting this topic. I was going to attempt to do the same. I will add more stabilizer. Thank you for the advice.

Pop_s

6. Back To Top    #6

Somewhere I read that there is a test for CYA that reduces the amount of reagent used. Sorry, I didn't make note and cannot find it again. Can anyone help me?

7. Back To Top    #7

Doubtful about the CYA reagent use reduction. There is a difference between the TF100 and K-2006 CYA test. However, the black dot tube is smaller for the K-2006, making it more difficult to read.

You might be thinking of the difference between the 25 ml sample size and 10 ml sample for the FAS-DPD testing. That one does reduce the amount of FAS used per test.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Well you need a 50/50 mix of the pool water and reagent to do the test ... If you have higher CYA, you can get away with mixing a smaller sample size. But since yours is low, you may not be able to use less and have enough to do the test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you! I do have a 10ml test. I should have thought about using it to reduce consumption. Cool!!!!!