Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long before Acid begins to lower pool ph?18.000 gal viny

1. Back To Top    #1

How long before Acid begins to lower pool ph?18.000 gal viny

I am waiting for my ph to drop to 7.4 or 7.2 so that I can add Super Zappit tonight. Cool breeze and this is nice but is it safe to assume that it will be low enough during the night ? I started at 7.6 almost an hour ago... . And directions read to lower ph prior to adding zappit. I heard safe is 30 minutes.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long before Acid begins to lower pool ph?18.000 gal

Why are you adding zappit?
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

3. Back To Top    #3

How about some test results?

If you are needing to start the shock PROCESS, these would be needed.

If you are "shocking" your pool, just because the pool store says you have to once a week, don't. It is NOT needed. Pool School (link at top right of every page) will tell you why.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

They want the pH low because it's Calcium Hypochlorite and it can cause cloudiness.

How about some test results? If you've got high alkalinity and a lot of movement, it's going to keep pushing pH up. If you've got green water, one bag of zappit probably won;t do anything for you. If you've got high Calcium, it's going to make it worse. pool-school/read_before_you_post
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well it did work... Our pool had been lovely but then after a swim party boom! So I have not shocked the pool weekly with Lithoshock as the pool Wearhouse says to do this summer. Although when we have in the past we never end uo with issues There was a green hue to the water that night and weve had the algae bloom overnight at times and I didn't want a replay of that. I have used liquid shock before as well when necessary and Afyerward "Pool First Aid". Here were my test results that night. Alk 160 ph 7.6 then 7.4 after acid. We have very hard water about 560 ppm out of the faucet. Usually acid is what we need more than anything. We've had this exact pool, liner and all for 9 years and have only had to empty it once due to lack of chemicals in the winter ONE year. Never again! Also we've had to drain the pool by about 1/3rd dur to stabilization lock issue, other than that tho we've kept same water year after year. We do not drain on a consistent basis. We always maintain the pool and leave the pump running non stop except some winters we will leave it on for only 4 hours a day using a timer...

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Naomijos
    Well it did work... Our pool had been lovely but then after a swim party boom! So I have not shocked the pool weekly with Lithoshock as the pool Wearhouse says to do this summer. Although when we have in the past we never end uo with issues There was a green hue to the water that night and weve had the algae bloom overnight at times and I didn't want a replay of that. I have used liquid shock before as well when necessary and Afyerward "Pool First Aid". Here were my test results that night. Alk 160 ph 7.6 then 7.4 after acid. We have very hard water about 560 ppm out of the faucet. Usually acid is what we need more than anything. We've had this exact pool, liner and all for 9 years and have only had to empty it once due to lack of chemicals in the winter ONE year. Never again! Also we've had to drain the pool by about 1/3rd dur to stabilization lock issue, other than that tho we've kept same water year after year. We do not drain on a consistent basis. We always maintain the pool and leave the pump running non stop except some winters we will leave it on for only 4 hours a day using a timer...
    My pool is open year-round and in three years it's never turned green, nor even cloudy, once. Not one time. That's over 1,000 days continuously, nights, weekends, and holidays included, without a problem and without ever once "shocking" the pool. You can learn how by reading Pool School

[center:3logvz36][/center:3logvz36]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

People who do not use the TFP methods somehow seem to accept that shocking is a normal occurence. While discussing pools with my neighbor he made the comment ...."yeah but you still have to shock it every few weeks"..... I told him that no that's not true. He said "I wouldn't want to swim in your pool". In the meantime, his children WERE swimming in my pool this weekend, and they commented how soft the water felt, and how "it don't sting my eyes like our pool"... But my neighbor will not ask me for advice you can bet on that. I offered and he refused, so that's that story.

I think that people who have used pool store methods for some time just have it ingrained in them and find it hard to let go. They just can't believe that you don't need all that **** for a clean pool. It's not their fault. It is what they've been told. But when they finally totally let go and accept TFP methods, it's like a revelation!

Richard (3 years with a clean pool and no shocking) is testament to that fact that this works. And it works far better than pool store methods. But you have to give in to it. You can't use both. All you need for awesome pool water is a TF-100 test kit and this forum. The people here will guide you, as they guided me.

GC
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit