Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re-Using Strainer Socks

1. Back To Top    #1

Re-Using Strainer Socks

I have been rinsing out my strainer socks, letting them dry and re-using them. Is this a problem? I thought I might be promoting algae growth or some such. They don't cost that much. It isn't the $$$ as it is the time to go get more if I throw out the ones I have.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Re-Using Strainer Socks

<gasp!> I never once considered they weren't meant to be rinsed out and re-used!?
    I change mine almost daily, rinsing the schmutz out with the hose and let it dry out in the sun while I use a different one in its place.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy
    <gasp!> I never once considered they weren't meant to be rinsed out and re-used!?
    I change mine almost daily, rinsing the schmutz out with the hose and let it dry out in the sun while I use a different one in its place.
    I do the same as YippeeSkippy.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I figure after I rinse them I can just toss them in some bleach water for several minutes. That would kill anything on them. yes, I know the pool is full of chlorine, but...
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow! You guys actually change them and let one dry? I just dump the basket and rinse the sock while still attached to the basket. Figured I'd replace it when it wouldn't rinse any longer.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 4knights
    Wow! You guys actually change them and let one dry? I just dump the basket and rinse the sock while still attached to the basket. Figured I'd replace it when it wouldn't rinse any longer.
    I'm not doing it this way for any other reason that I want to pop the lid off the basket, grab it, replace with a different one and get up off my knees as quickly as possible cause when I'm kneeling and reaching down so far to grab the basket like that the cement tears up my pedicure's pretty polish
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I use ladies knee highs (queen size) from Walmart. The cheap ones in the little plastic shell cost 33. At six stockings for $1, no reason to reuse them.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej
    I use ladies knee highs (queen size) from Walmart. The cheap ones in the little plastic shell cost 33. At six stockings for $1, no reason to reuse them.

I've never used any skimmer sock or the like. When you use the knee highs, do you just stretch it and put the basket in like where the foot would go? Do you tie it off then? Thanks for any explanation.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by crek31
    When you use the knee highs, do you just stretch it and put the basket in like where the foot would go? Do you tie it off then? Thanks for any explanation.
    No, the sock or stocking goes inside the basket(basket needs to be between the knee high and the suction)
    you stretch the knee high or the skimmer sock over the basket rim with the material remaining inside the basket. This ensures it doesn't get sucked through your plumbing. It and all the junk stays in the skimmer basket.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by crek31
    I've never used any skimmer sock or the like. When you use the knee highs, do you just stretch it and put the basket in like where the foot would go? Do you tie it off then? Thanks for any explanation.

They're put inside the basket like a paper coffee filter would sit inside the coffee pot's filter basket. Catches small schmutz as well as larger leaves and such, which prevents pool debris from going through your pipes and into the pump and filter.

During pollen season you'll be amazed at what they catch. Ugh!

11. Back To Top    #11

Here: Richard has some pics:
    skimmer-sock-nylon-illustrated-t60819.html
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!