Bought a house with a pool need some advise

Jun 25, 2013
Algonquin, IL
Hello all,

I just bought a house that has an existing 27' above ground pool. I have read thru pool school a few times, and just got my k2006 kit today. Everything seems pretty in line except the CYA. I assume that this is due to the former owner using Trichlor pucks for the last many years. My question is at this point in the season would it be worth it to do a water drain and fill, or to just live with it? My other question is that my FC level takes forever to drop. This is due to the CYA level correct? Pool water looks ok right now. I love the idea of taking control and understanding this stuff so I dont have to rely on the pool store :wink:

Dave

FC-7.5
CC-0
PH-7.6
TA-130
CH-280
CYA->100 (estimated at around 150-160)

Camels20 said:
Hello all,
My question is at this point in the season would it be worth it to do a water drain and fill, or to just live with it?
I think it is early enough to do a partial drain and refill. It may be a battle if you don't.

Camels20 said:
My other question is that my FC level takes forever to drop. This is due to the CYA level correct?
Yes and coupled with minimal sun exposure and low bather load.

Also, if you want to get a more exact CYA number, you can dilute the pool water with tap water. Instructions are under Extended Test Kit Directions.

Do the dilutions test of CYA, you may be surprised that it's even higher then you think and will have to drain more to get to where it needs to be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.