Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bought a house with a pool need some advise

1. Back To Top    #1

Bought a house with a pool need some advise

Hello all,

I just bought a house that has an existing 27' above ground pool. I have read thru pool school a few times, and just got my k2006 kit today. Everything seems pretty in line except the CYA. I assume that this is due to the former owner using Trichlor pucks for the last many years. My question is at this point in the season would it be worth it to do a water drain and fill, or to just live with it? My other question is that my FC level takes forever to drop. This is due to the CYA level correct? Pool water looks ok right now. I love the idea of taking control and understanding this stuff so I dont have to rely on the pool store

Dave

FC-7.5
    CC-0
    PH-7.6
    TA-130
    CH-280
    CYA->100 (estimated at around 150-160)
    27', ag, vinyl, 17000 Gal, Cartridge filter, 2hp pump, k-2006 test kit (best money I ever spent)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bought a house with a pool need some advise

Quote Originally Posted by Camels20
    Hello all,
    My question is at this point in the season would it be worth it to do a water drain and fill, or to just live with it?
    I think it is early enough to do a partial drain and refill. It may be a battle if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Camels20
    My other question is that my FC level takes forever to drop. This is due to the CYA level correct?
    Yes and coupled with minimal sun exposure and low bather load.

Also, if you want to get a more exact CYA number, you can dilute the pool water with tap water. Instructions are under Extended Test Kit Directions.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I will do a partial drain this weekend.
    27', ag, vinyl, 17000 Gal, Cartridge filter, 2hp pump, k-2006 test kit (best money I ever spent)

4. Back To Top    #4

Do the dilutions test of CYA, you may be surprised that it's even higher then you think and will have to drain more to get to where it needs to be.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

5. Back To Top    #5

I did an 80% D+F over the weekend. Much better levels!!!

FC-11 (shocking)
    CC-0
    Ph-7.3
    CH-250
    CYA-<30

My pool is in direct sunlight for 12hrs a day. Should I up the CYA level to the high end of the range i.e. 40ppm?

6. Back To Top    #6

Wait until you're done shocking then raise it if you want. I'm at 40 CYA right now.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320