Possible to fix an aquacal heat exchanger?

Sep 25, 2012
Orlando, FL
I have a aqualcal heat pump that has sprung a leak on the top of the heat exchanger. It's near one of the PVC pipes and I can visibly see a fine stream of water coming out.

Here's my question... Assuming my warranty is out on the unit, what are my options? Can just the top of the heat exchanger be replaced? How about repaired? Would an HVAC person be able to weld/solder a hairline crack? How about jbweld or some sort of epoxy?

I'm open to creative ideas!

Which model unit do you have. Aquacal makes several models and they usually have Titanium exchangers. Titanium requires extremely specialized welding and as a rule can't be repaired in the field.

You could try JB-weld, but I think you're asking for more problems down the road.

So after quite a few calls and some research; The only way to get a replacement top portion to the heat exchanger was to purchase an entire new exchanger. This would run $1400 to $1800 for the part alone, which is WAY to expensive IMHO and out of the question. Honestly, at that price I'd rather get an completely new unit. I decided to attempt a repair since I have nothing to loose with this unit.

After disconnecting the fan and control panel wires I removed the entire outer lid of the aquacal. This was to gain better access to the heat exchanger. Once inside, I confirmed the heat exchanger upper, lower and outer portions are completely plastic. I'm betting the only place titanium is actually used is where the coils inside meet the water to heat/cool. I used a dremmel with wire brush attachment at first but then switch to rough sandpaper to roughen up the plastic surface. I also used a blade to score the outer areas in a crosshatch pattern to give the surface some additional cling. I worked around the entire area in question and moved further out for good measure. Once fully scored, I used rubbing alcohol and a clean rag to remove all surface residue and dirt. After drying, I mixed an entire 2oz set of JB WELD marine grade epoxy. This is the slower curing (24 hour version) and is supposedly better suited to wet/marine conditions. I applied it to the entire surface (like icing a cake) and let it set for 24 hours. The next day I reconnected everything and tested it out!

So far... so good. No leaks! The true test will be the longevity of this patch. I've had mixed results with JB WELD in the past. It either works and last forever or fails in a short amount of time. I feel mostly it has to do with the surface area prep. I'm hoping that since this part has no friction, no real heat, minor vibration and only a minor amount of water pressure to contend with, it lasts. At a cost of $6, I'd rather take this chance than just take the Aquacal to the scrapyard.

I'll post an update if it fails OR if it lasts. If it works, hopefully others in the same boat as me will have luck with JB WELD.

UPDATE - Last month I noticed a really tiny pinhole leak in the same area after some extended usage of the heater. It was coming up around the fold/ridge on the top of the exchanger. To repair, I repeated the process but this time I added some fiberglass fabric. Similar to what is used in auto / marine body repair. I applied a liberal coat and then "buttered" the fiberglass on both sides to fully impregnate the fibers with JBWELD. It was set on top to cover the entire area and extended well past the first application. It's been working fine since then.

Total cost was under $20. Even if this just buys me another 2 years, I'll be happy!

Reactions: teecee2021
Still working after all these years?

I also have a leak in my Waterco heat exchanger ’plastic’ housing . I fixed it with JB Weld plastic bond and some drywall mesh tape, but unfortunately it held for about a week only.

This time I’ll try JB Weld Marine epoxy (MarineWeld Twin Tube) not the one in syringe since it seems to have less tensile strength, and instead of drywall mesh tape I’ll use real fibreglass cloth like you do .

Hope it going to work . Does your repair still holds after all these years?
Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.