ready to turn on the hose!!!

Jun 5, 2013
Indiana
Hello
Attached is a pic of our pool which should finally be plastered tomorrow. I am looking forward to getting water in it. Long story short, this is my 4 th year with this 40+ year old pool. Completely redone this summer with tile walls and quartz aggregrate blue plaster bottom going in tomorrow. Previous years were mostly pool store advise. I have been reading here the last few weeks and looking forward to using the BBB method. I have the recommended test kit and will post my fill water test results later tonight or tomorrow. My PB is going to supply me with the recommended acid startup procedure tomorrow, and is going to turn on the hose and leave. Getting it started will be up to me, which is ok because at this point the less I see of the PB the better.
But first a couple questions.
I have some chemicals left from last summer: 3 lbs trichlor pucks, 2.75 lbs cya, 19.5 lbs dichlor. About a gallon of 3 year old muriatic acid. (I know I will need to buy a bunch more acid, which I can get at menards for 3$ per gallon) I just got a great deal on 8 gallons 12.5% chlorine for $20 while on vacation in Wisconsin. (Fleet Farm, Plymouth WI)

Question #1 would any of these old chemicals be too old to use?
Question #2 trichlor and dichlor add cya, but since I will be starting at 0 I assume these would be ok to use.
I do know the TA and CH of the fill water are high so will have to deal with that, but will post the fill water results asap.
Sorry for the long read and I look forward to continued reading and helping out as much as I can.
Thanks.
Mark

Attachments

• empty-pool.jpg
    empty-pool.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 223
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

1. None of the chemicals you mentioned really go bad (except the bleach, but that is new ;) )

2. Yes, although the pucks dissolve and add the CYA slowly. The dichlor could be useful as it dissolves faster so adds the CYA faster and is acidic to help keep the pH down. But you have to make sure you are allowed to add FC right away. You can certainly use the old CYA which should add about 15ppm. Just be very careful to track how many pucks or lbs of dichlor you use to make sure the CYA does not get out of hand.

I really love that thick tile line!!! Can't wait to see it finished n full! Don't forget to update the finished product!

Thanks Casey, my wife made the tile choices.

The plaster guys were here bright and early setting up, but the PB ordered the wrong materials. the right color but a large pebble finish instead of smooth quartz finish. This will set us back another two weeks. Furious. My wife wants to kill the PB.

Another question, hypothetically if we were to bury a body below the pool floor, how far would we have to dig so we could still get a smooth finish? :twisted:

Mark

mfederwi said:
Thanks Casey, my wife made the tile choices.

The plaster guys were here bright and early setting up, but the PB ordered the wrong materials. the right color but a large pebble finish instead of smooth quartz finish. This will set us back another two weeks. Furious. My wife wants to kill the PB.

Another question, hypothetically if we were to bury a body below the pool floor, how far would we have to dig so we could still get a smooth finish? :twisted:

Mark
Below the gunite. You're too late now.

All those chemicals will be useful since you're starting with fresh water AND you have a test kit and some understanding.

Fired the PB and hired a plasterer. Pool was finished yesterday. Yeah.

Here are my initial fill water readings with the TF-100
Ta 290
PH 8
CH 180
CL 0
water temp 72

I added 4 gallons of muriatic last night to lower the TA
here are my test results from this morning
TA 120
PH 6.8

I am now aerating. to raise PH

The startup plan wants me to get the TA to 80. Should I add more acid to lower TA and then soda ash to raise PH?
I plan on testing again about noon.

pool is 20,000 gallons, diamond brite plaster bottom with tile sides.

thanks.
Mark

Finally was able to get this together and posted. Here is a time lapse video of our pool plastering.
This was roughly 6 AM to 10PM on the 4th of July.
The plaster guys showed up at about 7:45 AM and the pool was filled by about 4 PM.
Here is the link to the youtube video http://youtu.be/9cF5vRW1OsE
[youtube:nbf2qs3q]9cF5vRW1OsE[/youtube:nbf2qs3q]
Mark

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.