Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ready to turn on the hose!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

ready to turn on the hose!!!

Hello
    Attached is a pic of our pool which should finally be plastered tomorrow. I am looking forward to getting water in it. Long story short, this is my 4 th year with this 40+ year old pool. Completely redone this summer with tile walls and quartz aggregrate blue plaster bottom going in tomorrow. Previous years were mostly pool store advise. I have been reading here the last few weeks and looking forward to using the BBB method. I have the recommended test kit and will post my fill water test results later tonight or tomorrow. My PB is going to supply me with the recommended acid startup procedure tomorrow, and is going to turn on the hose and leave. Getting it started will be up to me, which is ok because at this point the less I see of the PB the better.
    But first a couple questions.
    I have some chemicals left from last summer: 3 lbs trichlor pucks, 2.75 lbs cya, 19.5 lbs dichlor. About a gallon of 3 year old muriatic acid. (I know I will need to buy a bunch more acid, which I can get at menards for 3$ per gallon) I just got a great deal on 8 gallons 12.5% chlorine for $20 while on vacation in Wisconsin. (Fleet Farm, Plymouth WI)

Question #1 would any of these old chemicals be too old to use?
    Question #2 trichlor and dichlor add cya, but since I will be starting at 0 I assume these would be ok to use.
    I do know the TA and CH of the fill water are high so will have to deal with that, but will post the fill water results asap.
    Sorry for the long read and I look forward to continued reading and helping out as much as I can.
    Thanks.
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IG plaster, 22,000 gallon, Jacuzzi Laser Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ready to turn on the hose!!!

Welcome to TFP!!!

1. None of the chemicals you mentioned really go bad (except the bleach, but that is new )

2. Yes, although the pucks dissolve and add the CYA slowly. The dichlor could be useful as it dissolves faster so adds the CYA faster and is acidic to help keep the pH down. But you have to make sure you are allowed to add FC right away. You can certainly use the old CYA which should add about 15ppm. Just be very careful to track how many pucks or lbs of dichlor you use to make sure the CYA does not get out of hand.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I really love that thick tile line!!! Can't wait to see it finished n full! Don't forget to update the finished product!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Casey, my wife made the tile choices.

The plaster guys were here bright and early setting up, but the PB ordered the wrong materials. the right color but a large pebble finish instead of smooth quartz finish. This will set us back another two weeks. Furious. My wife wants to kill the PB.

Another question, hypothetically if we were to bury a body below the pool floor, how far would we have to dig so we could still get a smooth finish?

Mark

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mfederwi
    Thanks Casey, my wife made the tile choices.

The plaster guys were here bright and early setting up, but the PB ordered the wrong materials. the right color but a large pebble finish instead of smooth quartz finish. This will set us back another two weeks. Furious. My wife wants to kill the PB.

Another question, hypothetically if we were to bury a body below the pool floor, how far would we have to dig so we could still get a smooth finish?

Mark
    Below the gunite. You're too late now.

All those chemicals will be useful since you're starting with fresh water AND you have a test kit and some understanding.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Fired the PB and hired a plasterer. Pool was finished yesterday. Yeah.

Here are my initial fill water readings with the TF-100
    Ta 290
    PH 8
    CH 180
    CL 0
    water temp 72

I added 4 gallons of muriatic last night to lower the TA
    here are my test results from this morning
    TA 120
    PH 6.8

I am now aerating. to raise PH

The startup plan wants me to get the TA to 80. Should I add more acid to lower TA and then soda ash to raise PH?
    I plan on testing again about noon.

pool is 20,000 gallons, diamond brite plaster bottom with tile sides.

thanks.
    Mark

7. Back To Top    #7

Acid to lower pH, then aeration to raise.
    pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Your pool is beautiful, I cannot wait to see it full of water!
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

9. Back To Top    #9

Finally was able to get this together and posted. Here is a time lapse video of our pool plastering.
    This was roughly 6 AM to 10PM on the 4th of July.
    The plaster guys showed up at about 7:45 AM and the pool was filled by about 4 PM.
    Here is the link to the youtube video http://youtu.be/9cF5vRW1OsE
    [youtube:nbf2qs3q]9cF5vRW1OsE[/youtube:nbf2qs3q]
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

Man I wish I made a video like that for my pool build. Looks good.
    New Pool: 22 x 35 | StoneScape Mini - Midnight Blue | ~17,500 gallons | Jandy Equipment - Built spring 2015 (click for details and pictures)
    Old Pool: 16 x 30 | QuartzBrite | 14,000 gallons | Pentair Equipment - Built summer of 2013 (click for details and pictures)