How long to run pump

tina12

Jul 9, 2007
Kentucky
I was wondering how long I should run my pump in order to keep everything filtered. We've been running it 24 hours for the last 5 days (had some algae). Now that it's clear, thought I could probally run it a little less.

Long enough to turn over your pool water at least once per day. 2 is better :) How short a run time you can get away with depends on the gpm flow rate of your equipment and the total gallons of water your pool holds. Some like to split their run times, like one turn over in the am and another in the pm.

I have always run my pump 24/7, but am looking to go to a 2 speed so I can switch to low, still run 24/7 and save money on electricity.

We have a 2 speed and run it on low 24/7. Only bumps up the elec bill about $15 in the summer to operate the pool.

Our first season we tried a 12 hour run time and had issues. Mostly I'm just lazy and haven't bought a timer and I never remember to turn on/off the pump, so 24/7 is just "easier" hehehehe

I'm sure it's overkill. Whaaaateever....

Every pool is different. Get a sense of what the water looks like when running 24/7, then try 12 hours a day for a week and see how the water looks. If everything is still perfect try a shorter run time. If the water looks a little dull try a longer pump run time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.